1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Where the heck are the bookmarks stored??Support

1. nashfh

nashfh Well-Known Member

I installed Chrome Beta and synched my desktop bookmarks, however, now I have a couple of hundred unnecessary links I'd like to delete. I have looked everywhere in the files and can't seem to find where they are stored so I can just delete en masse rather than one annoying long-press at a time.

Can someone tell me where they are stored?

Thanks.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic VIP Member

They are stored in the phone memory at data/data/com.android.chrome/app_chrome/default/bookmarks

Not sure if you can do a mass delete you can view the file as text
  3. nashfh

nashfh Well-Known Member

Thanks. Using Astro and going to the top of the folder tree, I click on data, however the directory is empty. Any thoughts?
  4. Yeahha

You might need to be rooted to see it...try using es file explorer
  5. nashfh

nashfh Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help. I downloaded es file explorer, but does it work on ICS? I can't get the root folder? The highest level I can move up to is /sdcard/.
  6. Jay3

Jay3 Well-Known Member

They're in the cloud, so they may reappear. Best to go to Chrome desktop on a computer and delete them. Open the Bookmarks Manager.

And it's a good idea to use the "Bookmarks Bar" folder for the 10 or 15 that you use most. That way, on your phone you can just stay in that folder usually.
  7. nashfh

nashfh Well-Known Member

The thing is, I don't want to delete the bookmarks from the pc. Ideally, I'd like to have a pared down list of all my chrome bookmarks on the phone. It seems like it should be a simple task.
  8. Jay3

Jay3 Well-Known Member

Well, if the "Bookmarks Bar" idea I posted doesn't do it for you (that's my solution), just make a dedicated folder called "Phone" and place a copy of the ones you want in there. Because Chrome for Android stays in the folder you last left it. You'll always just be in that folder, without having to navigate into it.
  9. Jay3

Jay3 Well-Known Member

Actually, that folder already pretty much exists on the phone. It's called "Mobile Bookmarks."
  10. elmerjr128

elmerjr128 Well-Known Member

Open ES File Explorer. Hit the menu button > Settings > Home Directory > Change "/sdcard/" to "/".
  11. Yeahha

I checked on a unrooted device I don't think you can get to the folder without being rooted
  12. nashfh

nashfh Well-Known Member

Thanks for double-checking. I checked out various apps and strangely enough none of them allow me to batch select and delete bookmarks. Someone needs to develop it and I'll only ask for my finder's fee. :D
  13. Yeahha

You could just clear data on chrome and not allow it to sync bookmarks. I think that is an option on it.
  14. Jay3

Jay3 Well-Known Member

Or delete Chrome, reinstall it, and not let it sync bookmarks.
  15. nashfh

nashfh Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. I just cleared out my desktop bookmarks, let it sync so none showed up in my phone, disconnected google from chrome and then reimported my desktop bookmarks. I just have to add my mobile bookmarks back on one by one. It's a shame that it's not something more customizable. Seems like a fairly basic concept