• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Where to get Evo now?

dyh

Jun 3, 2010
I'm starting to get frustrated. I ordered from Wirefly and they still don't have the Evo. That part is understandable, however Bing has told me they're not going to give me the $50 cash back although I browsed from their website and even sent bing support a jpeg of the ad at the top of the Wirefly site.

Because my order got put in on the 4th, although approved on the 9th, if I stick with Wirefly it will be $170 with no tax, not including the bing cashback, free shipping, and a free bluetooth headset

I guess that's still a pretty good deal, but I can't get any headway with either where I am in the queue and Wirefly is still uncertain when they're going to be getting the phones in.

I'm hearing the Evo is back in stock in some locations. The downside to ordering from Sprint.com is that I think I'd have to pay tax, deal with the rebate which I'd rather not do, and the SAVE50 code didn't work for me. I guess they waive the activation fee although I'm going to call Sprint and try to get it waived regardless.

Aside from what I have now, is there anything you'd suggest? Is there a good deal somewhere besides Wirefly?

I also heard that you can't change your plan for 6 months if you buy from Wirefly, aside from any discounts based on employer etc that would apply. I'm going to try to get a discount, but if I can't I'm going to switch back to the EPRP, and my understanding is that I'd have to wait 6 months if I needed to due to Wirefly's contract policies.

Also, it looks like there are a bunch of problems people are having with the Evo and if I need to return or exchange it, it seems like dealing with Wirefly would be more difficult.

Dealing with all this is complicated and frustrating, and at this point I'd like to find the best deal, get the phone, and be done with it. Let me know if you have any information for me, thanks!

Edit: I also thought about waiting and looking at the Galaxy S Pro, although I haven't heard a target release date on that phone. I think the regular Galaxy S is only for T Mobile? Now with Swype I'm not sure if I even need a hardware keyboard.

There's also the cost, and since it has things like 8 or 16 GB RAM I have a feeling it will be pricier than the Evo, although there's no word yet on a contract bundle price. I heard about $1000 without contract.

But it does look like a nice phone though. No 30 fps cap and 1 GHz CPU with a specially designed GPU, supposedly together better than the Snapdragon. The screen is almost as big and is Super AMOLED. And it's also supposed to have a Wimax radio! I ordered a Best Skin Ever for the Evo, but I could probably just send it back if I need to.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones