• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Where to go after rooting?

cnewquist

Lurker
Mar 16, 2011
Hello everyone,

I am knew to the android I like it thus far and just finished rooting it.

What is my next step?

My brother talked about ROMs and Kernels, what should I be doing now?

I want to get rid of all the junk that comes pre-loaded onto the phone (NASCAR, KINDLE, etc), increase my battery life, and add tethering, can someone direct me on what I should do next and elaborate on the terms for me?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I can remain with the stock ROM or Kernel or get a custom one...maybe?

Any help would be great.

I'm honestly getting lower quadrant scores with this ROM...? It feels fast but benchmark scores seem to disagree.

And now I want to go back to stock however my recovery isn't working for some reason... I think it got corrupt somehow.

I load up recovery, select a previously created recovery, flash it, and then I get stuck on the HTC boot screen and it cycles...???

Do I need a copy of the stock ROM?

Upvote 0
I'm honestly getting lower quadrant scores with this ROM...?

And now I want to go back to stock however my recovery isn't working for some reason...

I load up recovery, select a previously created recovery, flash it, and then I get stuck on the HTC boot screen and it cycles...???

Do I need a copy of the stock ROM?

Your getting lower Quadrant scores because that ROM is using the stock Kernel. If you flash a custom kernel like Bcnices [Kernel] [GPL] Sense 2.6.32.21 OC/UV 1.51GHZ (CFS-Smartass-TUN) or [KERNEL] 2011-03-21 - x99kernel OC/UV 1.2/1.8GHz SmartAss - for Sense ROMs you should see a big difference in speed. I believe both run at 1.2 GHZ but can be overclocked and are really speedy.

Reactions: HTC Mike
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones