Where to put new contact?

Last Updated:

1. NineToTheSky

NineToTheSky Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

When I add a new contact, I'm offered Google, SIM and phone. Where should I put it, and what effect does each option have?

Advertisement
  2. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member

"Google" contacts sync with the online Google Contacts that you see when you go to GoogleMail. Advantage - they are backed up, available anywhere you have access to Google and can be re-synced back to a new or reset device. Disadvantage - Google's Contacts online is very limited in functionality. Try doing a mail-merge. Might be possible, but not for the "average" user.

"SIM" contacts are stored on the sim card itself. Advantage - they are on the card and available in any phone you put the sim card into. Disadvantage - not sure, but SIM phone books used to be limited just a name and number, no email, address, IM details, etc.

"Phone" contacts are stored on the phone and are sync'd to the desktop using HTC Sync. This option is good if you use Outlook and want/need to keep your contacts there, but bad if you add/edit contacts a LOT and need the peace of mind of instant syncing with Google. Outlook sync requires you to be plugged in to your desktop.

NineToTheSky likes this.
  3. NineToTheSky

Thank you for your excellent reply.

As I've used a rather scattergun approach to where I've saved my contacts, is it possible to resave them from, say, phone to SIM?

ETA: Where are 'Phone' contacts saved? On the SIM?

4. brykins

Phone contacts are saved in the phone memory itself - not the SIM card and not the SD card.

Moving from one to another - you can import contacts from the SIM card into either Google or Phone contacts. You can export contacts to a file on the SD card and then re-import them into Google or Phone contacts as well.

5. stringent

stringent Well-Known Member

Also if you take a picture of your new contact, if stored under Google, when it syncs it reduces the picture quality and size and makes it look like a 8 yr old webcam pic. There is a work around, but something to bear in mind.

6. NineToTheSky

I apologise for my ignorance, but how do you import/export? I can't see an option for that in 'People'.

7. brykins

Open "People" -> Menu -> Import/Export

8. NineToTheSky

Sometimes I feel very stupid...:(

9. brykins

Don't worry about it - we all miss things sometimes :)