• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Where to save contacts: Phone, SIM, or Google Contacts?

surkins

Lurker
Nov 5, 2011
Hi Everyone! :) I can't decided where is a good place to save my contacts.
Would Google contacts use too much 4g data if it's constantly syncing? I only have 200mb of data.

Any advantages/ disadvantages I should be aware of before deciding if I should save to SIM, Phone, or Google Contacts? Thanks! :)

SIM would only let you save phone numbers. No pictures per contact, no email, no notes, not multiple number in one contact, no contact linking to facebook account, no sync. Basically using SIM is just a long list of cons.

Phone. Lets you save lots of stuff, and basically do everything except sync to Google/Gmail.

Google. Just like phone, but syncs to Google/Gmail.

Upvote 0
What phone are you using? If it's a HTC or Samsung device, you can save to the phone and sync to your PC.

While syncing to google is convenient, I found it annoying how it added your gmail "contacts" to the phone, even if they're not contacts you actually want on the phone.

Upvote 0
It may depend on what phone you have (which manufacturer and what software version), but I'd start by opening my contacts app and looking for "manage contacts" in your settings. If you are lucky you may find something obvious like "move contacts" in there (my Samsung, running Android 13, has that).

(Back when this thread started it was often simplest to export the contacts to a vcard file and then re-import them to a different location, but things have come on a bit since then!)

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
It may depend on what phone you have (which manufacturer and what software version), but I'd start by opening my contacts app and looking for "manage contacts" in your settings. If you are lucky you may find something obvious like "move contacts" in there (my Samsung, running Android 13, has that).

(Back when this thread started it was often simplest to export the contacts to a vcard file and then re-import them to a different location, but things have come on a bit since then!)
Hadron, Thank you -- that was quick.

Yes I have a Samsung S21 and have 965 contacts in Phone and much less in the 4 google accounts (11, 23,12, 434 respectively). I am not counting Aol (yes hard to believe), Outlook, and 3 work/volunteer email accounts. I am trying to make things much simpler and also so that I can start synching everything.

I see the Move Contacts. Now I just have to figure out where I want the contacts though it looks like I have sync on for most of accounts - though not sure that I understand Sync contacts as they all do not have the same entries.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones