Where to start on an e-bay G1Support

Last Updated:

1. knorth@charter.net

knorth@charter.net New Member This Topic's Starter

I just bought a used G1 off e-bay. While it ships, I've been lurking around the forums off-and-on for a couple days. It's pretty overwhelming, the amount of information, and I'm having a hard time sorting it all out. Since I haven't even gotten my hands on it yet, I don't even know the state of the device.

Thus, I'm looking for suggestions on a starting point, like a "Getting Started" document of a "G1 for Dummies" thread. Beyond that . . . What is a sensible approach to rebuilding a G1 from the ground up? I'd prefer to start with a "plain vanilla" setup so-as to get neither hooked on nor discouraged by someone else's customizations - or mistakes ; )

I should mention that I'm a longtime linux geek ( 15 years ), so I'd consider myself VERY comfortable in a telnet, xterm/rxvt window, or a SYSLINUX prompt. I'd find it most helpful and be very appreciative if someone could direct me toward documentation on the boot procedure of a G1, better yet a discussion via comparison/contrast to the equivalent process on a PC.

I can see already that the terminology is a bit different. This is hampering my "search" effort. One thing in particular is the use of either a stock or custom ROM. I picture this to be most similar to the familiar process of remastering a Linux LiveCD. Is this in any way correct? If so, where does this ROM live on the device, and where does it fit in the boot process? How many options are out there regarding ROMs? Are they listed/indexed somewhere?

Sorry. Lots of questions, I know.

All in all, I'm just looking for an experienced Android'er who's willing to toss out a few pointers to links that'll save me a little ( or a lot of ) time and frustration. Ok, I take that back. Mostly I'd like to save the time, since I don't really foresee much frustration. This is gonna be fun!!!

The adventure begins . . .

Advertisement
  2. knorth@charter.net

knorth@charter.net New Member This Topic's Starter

Maybe answering my own question a bit.

I just stumbled into the DEVELOPER threads, which I've avoided them up 'til now for fear of getting in over my head.

Good stuff there . . .