Where will a factory reset put me now that im rooted?

Last Updated:

1. rsarno

rsarno Thank Me, Im Irish! VIP Member This Topic's Starter

Im having an issue im trying to trouble shoot and im running out of options, im wondering if i might try a full factory reset.

So will it boot me back to fully stock 2.2? I originally got 2.2 from the OTA update.

Currently rooted and on SkyRaider 3.3

For details of my issues in case your interested, see here:
    Serious BUG, i'm coming to XDA for help or guidance - xda-developers

Advertisement
  2. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

You'll go back to day one of your CURRENT rom. So you'll have Superuser plus any apps the rom came preloaded with minus any changes you've made since loading it.

3. rsarno

So in order to go back to stock + root, and have it as clean as it can possibly be ..

Id have to flash a 2.2 stock ROM, then do a factory reset?

That will leave me with a factory-like install of 2.2 and leave my root in place?

Thanks again

4. iowabowtech

Once you flash any rom that's inspired from stock 2.2, that's it. Doing a factory reset wouldn't change anything. It's still a custom rom so the first moment you load it is as virgin as it'll ever get.

All you really need to do is wipe data, cache and even Dalvik cache if you really want to go the extra mile just to be sure. Then load a new rom. That's as clean as it's going to get.

5. lafester

lafester Well-Known Member

If you want stock plus root you either need to find a rooted stock rom or flash a stock rom and then re-root.

6. rsarno

finding a stock rooted rom, and flashing my backup from the second after i rooted ... is that the same exact thing?

7. iowabowtech

Yeah, if you were on stock 2.2 at the time you rooted, it'd be the same thing. If you've done any radio changing since that time tho, it won't revert back. Be aware though that doing factory resets while rooted can be dicey sometimes. Some people have experienced bootloops, which isn't a huge deal since you can flash another backup or rom, but just letting you know. If you do it, be VERY patient at boot, even more than usual. It may take a long time on the first bootup attempt.

8. lafester

lafester Well-Known Member

if you truly want a full factory reset the best way to do it is in bootloader.
    you should be STOCK and UNROOTED when you do it as well (s-off is ok).

you can also go into settings/sd & storage but when i did this it did not bring me 100% back to factory state. again, you must be stock and unrooted for a full reset.

i personally would not restore at this point. just start fresh and make a new backup when done.

9. Roceskt

Roceskt Well-Known Member