where will android go next?

what is the next step for the android OS?

1. Tablets

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. PMPs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Netbooks

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. Appliances

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Google TV

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Cars

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  7. Nowhere

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  8. Other

1 vote(s)
    9.1%

Last Updated:

1. ionekoa

ionekoa Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

so, one of the recent articles was about the next step for the android OS. now that they have a solid hold on the phone market, what is the next step for proliferation of our beloved OS? there are a lot of possibilities, so i decided to start this thread so it could actually find an interactive discussion as opposed to linear comments on a thread.

one thing i would like to see, and was surprised to see so many people chiming in with was putting android into cars. to be honest, i think most of the people i mention that to IRL think of it as one of my "crazy ideas". anyway. where would you like to see android go more mainstream? where do you think it WILL go next? where would you use it if you could?(ie your own custom uses, given you have the expertise to impliment or can find someone that can do it for you.)

Advertisement
  2. ionekoa

i will start out by giving my 2cents.

1) car. navigation, media and reminders,e-mail, etc. accessing the ODB sounds cool, but would essentially useless to me, as i am not mechanically inclined and i doubt that it would do anyone in the shop any good since they wouldnt necessarily know how to opperate the android carputer.

i would like to see wifi, but only for use in tethering, as i don't believe that sitting in the car wifi signal would be useful. i would however like to see at least 3G capabilities. i know that insignia had a line of GPS units that had SIM cards and could access cell towers for data for a nominal fee(i think it ran out to like $10 per month). i think as far as connecting to the internet this would be a more stable method.

i do think ODB access could be useful under the hood for accessing milage and other stats for the purposes of reminding the driver of needed services such as oil changes and other maintenance. it would also be nice if the computer accessed the gas level and automatically found the cheapest fuel in the area.

bluetooth and voice commands would be a must. perhaps user profiles that controlled the climate control and such, with presets so that if there are multiple drivers you could "log in" and have the settings automatically adjust to your preferences.

USB cable with a phone cradle so that phones can be docked. as far as the cradle, nothing form fitting just a divot for the phone to sit in since it would be impossible to mass produce anything to fit every form factor like a glove.

use tracking. again this goes into the ODB under the hood, but tracking the speed, direction and location of the vehicle, allowing remote access to lock the car or kill the engine regardless of distance(remember the car it'self is using cell towers). worried you forgot to lock it? check the status on your phone and act accordingly. car stolen? kill the engine, lock the doors and track it using the onboard GPS. keeping track of the movement brings me to another app that i thought of once that i still think is a good idea but would work better in a phone than in a phone. basically an app that when pulled over would store the speed, direction etc. as well as use a camera to record the police interaction. they have all of this info for themselves, no reason not to have it for you.

2) home automation. security, lights, TV, pretty much everything about the house today can be controled via computers. it would be nice to see android brought into this process giving you the ability to control the system seemlessly from your phone or (android enabled)car, or vice-versa. imagine if your home automation not only controlled the house but allowed you to set a timer that would lift the garage door slightly(for ventilation, assuming you park in the garage) and start your car at 7:30 so that it would be nice and climate controlled by the time you got to it.

it could also be used to help manage home finances and bills. track the amount of electricity and water used, etc. set timers on lights and appliances. i think there is a lot that android could do. granted there are a myriad of systems that do the same thing, however i feel that bringing them all under one OS would help to integrate more seemlessly and efficiently.

3. eyebeam

eyebeam Well-Known Member

Disneyland?

NightAngel79 likes this.
  4. hood420

hood420 Well-Known Member

All of the above, maybe except for netbooks.

5. ionekoa

actually, that is in the works. using refurbed android phones to make tour devices that have maps of the park.

6. Talbot

Talbot Well-Known Member

Either tablets or netbooks. I would even advocate them not even venturing into that yet and just making android as strong as possible for cell phones.

7. smacky

smacky Banned

Chrome OS is for netbooks. It wouldn't be Android, but it would still be Google-powered.

As for tablets, they really look cool, but I see the novelty wearing off fast. It's very hard for me to read textbooks on my computer. Today, Apple announced that it would start getting newspaper subscriptions for the iPad. Maybe when I try reading heavy text on a tablet, I'll change my mind. But for now, I think messing around with tablets and actually owning one are two different things. With smartphones providing the same function as a tablet on a smaller screen and then there being notebooks, I can't see tablets being used on a large scale. It'd be nice to have one, for sure, but they're gonna set you back over $1000 off contract. And is it really worth getting it for $200 or $300 on contract and paying for a data plan alongside your smartphone?