Where's all my RAM gone?Support

Last Updated:

1. virgopunk

virgopunk Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, so the SGS has 512MB of RAM and a portion of that is used in the background I guess but surely that can't be 350MB?? Whenever I use AppKiller it tells me that I usually have around 140MB free. What's hogging the RAM and is there an app to monitor this or is there any tips to manage RAm?Thanks for any help or advice anyone can give me.

Advertisement
  2. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Not quite sure. If you upgrade to JG4 you can push the amount of free RAM up to about 200 MB. Even then it tells you that the maximum amount of RAM is about 370 MB. I have heard that android 2.1 limits the amount of available RAM...

3. karnka

karnka Well-Known Member

^ What he said. It's a kernel limit.

4. virgopunk

virgopunk Member This Topic's Starter

Ah-ha! Thanks for that info. I don't know, with my 16GB SD card only really having 14GB and my 512MB of RAM only really being around 140MB I starting to feel a bit short changed ;o)Do you think the available ram will change with Froyo? Also what exactly is JG4? Is this to do with rooting the phone?Cheers.

5. hogofddyn_

hogofddyn_ Well-Known Member

I've heard that the current kernel limit for Android 2.1 and before is 256mb, also heard that it's been increased signifcantly for 2.2.

6. goughy

goughy Well-Known Member

Looking in my summary from the installed Active Applications widget I've got a total of 326mb with 259mb used! Should the used be that high?

7. ghdtpdna

ghdtpdna Well-Known Member

Once again, free ram is wasted ram.
    It's most ideal to have 0 ram free.

8. EarlZ

EarlZ Well-Known Member

Im not sure if the SGS really has 512MB of physical ram usable for the OS, samsung never stated this officially and Froyo is showing even less.. some believe its 384mb system and 128mb graphics