• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Where's JellyBean???

I had a chat with a member of the customer service team on the HTC website yesterday. It didn't go very well because he kept giving me cut/paste answers. Why can't they just give us a straight answer to the questions we ask. All I wanted to know was why the UK always had to wait longer than the rest of Europe to get OTA updates. This is how I got on.....

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...You have been connected to Kevin.Scott: Hello, are you there?

Kevin: Hi Scott, thank you for contacting HTC Support, I am looking in to your query now.

Kevin: Our devices are available on a wide variety of carriers and across many countries, due to localization, testing, and partner approvals, updates do not roll out to all devices with the same name at the same time. Even once a software update begins to roll out from HTC or a carrier partner, the update can take up to 45 days from the initial push to reach each person with that device on a given network. If your phone has not received the update after the 45-day period, navigate to Settings > About > Software Updates to have your device manually check for updates.

Scott: Ok, so that's clearly a cut/paste response which I asked you not to provide. I have an unbranded HTC One X and every time there's an OTA update, the UK ALWAYS gets it last. I could understand if this happened every now and again but when it happens EVERY time, there must be an actual reason for the delay. Please provide an actual answer and don't give me another cut/paste reply

Kevin: Scott what else would you like me to say? this is how update are done and the UK are not the last to get them. I ma very sorry that you are having to wait but I am afraid I cannot do any thing to force Jelly bean to your One X

Scott: I'm aware of numerous other unbranded HTC One X customers across various different countries across Europe who have ALL received the Jelly Bean update today. So why hasn't it come out in the UK if we're all using unbranded devices???

Kevin: because updates cannot be sent out to every device all at the same time. its sent out over a period of time.

Scott: I understand that but why is it always the UK that get it last. I can understand that you can't push the update to every phone at the same time and I also understand that it takes longer to push it

Upvote 0
the update to every phone at the same time and I also understand that it takes longer to push it out to branded devices ie Vodafone etc but I've seen countless people from across Europe who have downloaded Jelly Bean today and not a single person from the UK. There must be a reason for that. I'd just like to know what it is

Kevin: We have already started developing an update for your device. Once it is available, it will be delivered to your phone through an over-the-air (OTA) process.

Then you should receive a notification indicating the update is available for download. this is all the information we have on Android jelly bean.

Kevin: Our goal is to make sure that an upgrade provides an improved customer experience and that means a high standard of quality for hardware compatibility, adapting device or carrier specific customizations, testing by HTC and partners, addressing device hardware constraints, and many other factors.

Kevin: Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Scott: I've been a loyal HTC customer for many years (desire, desire HD and now One X) but I don't think I'll ever buy a HTC phone again because your update service is extremely poor compared with other brands. Also, I'm fed up of big companies like yourselves treating it's customers like idiots. Why can't you just give a straight answer.

Upvote 0
Kevin: I have

Scott: All phones that I'm talking about are HTC One X UNBRANDED devices. The update HAS been released for unbranded phones across Europe. Why not the UK

Kevin: updates are sent out over a period of time and is also sent out country/region at a time that's how updates have always been sent out even going back to your HTC Desire.

Kevin: because your phone is an unbranded UK phone.

Scott: Ok, we're getting somewhere now. That makes sense. You can't release it to everyone at once. So I understand that you have to make a priority list but why can't you change the order of the list for each update. ie the last update was released to the likes of Germany, France, Italy etc first and UK last. So this time, it should have been the UK first. Would that not be a fair system???

Kevin: Scott its not as simple as that. the UK are not the last to get this update. this is all the information that I have on Android jelly bean I ma sorry to hear that you are not happy about a update coming to your phone but there is nothing I can do.

Scott: If it's not that simple, explain it to me

Scott: The 4.0.4 update was pushed to numerous European countries before it came to the UK and the same is happening with Jelly Bean. Why can't the UK customers be given priority?

Upvote 0
Kevin: Our goal is to make sure that an upgrade provides an improved customer experience and that means a high standard of quality for hardware compatibility, adapting device or carrier specific customizations, testing by HTC and partners, addressing device hardware constraints, and many other factors. devices are available on a wide variety of carriers and across many countries, due to localization, testing, and partner approvals, updates do not roll out to all devices with the same name at the same time. Even once a software update begins to roll out from HTC or a carrier partner, the update can take up to 45 days from the initial push to reach each person with that device on a given network.

Kevin: this is all the information I have

Scott: Maybe you need to get more information from higher up then because that cut/paste is nothing more than political rubbish that doesn't actually answer the question. I realise that it's not your personal fault but surely it's your job to answer the questions that customers ask. If you don't have that information, should you not request it from someone who does??

Kevin: OK Scott what else would you like me to say? this is all the information I have so why are you not happy with me giving every bit of information I have?

Scott: I'd like you to say "Scott, I'm very sorry that I don't have the information you require but I will speak with people higher up the company and get that information. Once I have it, I'll get back to you via e-mail and give you a full explanation to your question"

Upvote 0
Scott: Surely, if you were the customer, you would be happier with that response and not the response you're giving me

Kevin: Scott I have given you all the information I have. I have no further information available to me. please stay tuned on our website for the latest new on Android Jelly bean.

Scott: Have you not read my last post? I know you've given me all the information YOU have but why can't you get more information from higher up and get back to me?

Scott: I give up

Kevin: please read the above as i have actully given you our response to your questions Our devices are available on a wide variety of carriers and across many countries, due to localization, testing, and partner approvals, updates do not roll out to all devices with the same name at the same time. Even once a software update begins to roll out from HTC or a carrier partner, the update can take up to 45 days from the initial push to reach each person with that device on a given network.

Kevin: Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Scott: I'm clearly banging my head against a brick wall, so no, there's nothing else you can "help" me with.

Upvote 0
I've just had a phone call from HTC customer services, due to me giving them extremely poor ratings on a satisfaction survey after my online chat with them yesterday. They wanted to get more details from me about my complaint. I've told them how much anger there is from UK customers, who have to wait longer for updates than any other European country. She told me they have had other similar complaints and she will forward my complaint to head office. She was very helpful and said that if they keep getting complaints then HTC will have to rethink their update strategy. Might be worth other people complaining too.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones