• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Where's My Droid dosen't work on Nexus phone

Gbangale

Lurker
Oct 10, 2012
I have setup Where's My Droid application on my Galaxy Nexus 9250 set.

But when the Sim card is changed no messge is sent to the number prescribed. In the test mode SMS is sent to the same number.

Also how do i maintain information about My Phone Number in Settings->Status.

Thanks in advance

Gbangale

I have setup Where's My Droid application on my Galaxy Nexus 9250 set.

But when the Sim card is changed no messge is sent to the number prescribed. In the test mode SMS is sent to the same number.

Also how do i maintain information about My Phone Number in Settings->Status.

Thanks in advance

Gbangale

I'm not sure I'm understanding what you mean "when the Sim card is changed". Your phone number is tied to your SIM card, when you swap SIM cards your phone thinks it has a different phone number (or even no phone number, if the SIM hasn't been activated). So it makes sense, if I understand right, that you would not get a text message if the SIM card has changed.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure I'm understanding what you mean "when the Sim card is changed". Your phone number is tied to your SIM card, when you swap SIM cards your phone thinks it has a different phone number (or even no phone number, if the SIM hasn't been activated). So it makes sense, if I understand right, that you would not get a text message if the SIM card has changed.

Then you clearly do not understand how the app is supposed to work. If stolen and the SIM card is changed, the app should send a message using the new SIM card that it has been changed.

@Gbangale: You have to set it up to send the text to a different number in order for it to work. Clearly you do not want it to send it to your number since that will no longer be functional.

BTW, I uninstalled it. It only works when the screen is on. What are the chances that you will be using the web based Commander utility when the screen is actually on?

Upvote 0
Then you clearly do not understand how the app is supposed to work. If stolen and the SIM card is changed, the app should send a message using the new SIM card that it has been changed.

@Gbangale: You have to set it up to send the text to a different number in order for it to work. Clearly you do not want it to send it to your number since that will no longer be functional.

BTW, I uninstalled it. It only works when the screen is on. What are the chances that you will be using the web based Commander utility when the screen is actually on?

Looking at the Where's my droid website, it states,
SIM Card Feature

Note: The SIM card feature is still in beta and isn't guaranteed to work currently. If you have problems please send me an email so I can correct the problem.

Setup

1. 1. Click on the 'SIM Card' button under the Security Settings section of the main menu.
2. Click the enable check box at the top of the menu. (If your having problems disable it and email me)
3. Click the 'Get Phone Data' button to fill in the SIM number and phone number spaces.
4. 4. In the box labeled 'Send To', type the phone number you want the app to send the new number to if the SIM card or phone number gets changed.
5. Click the 'Test Send' button and check that the phone received the test message.
6. Click the 'Save' button

Now if your phone gets stolen and someone tried to change the sim card out or tries to activate it on another plan with a different phone number the app will text with the new SIM number and more importantly the phone number so you can text to try and find it.

If you notice, it doesn't automatically text to the new phone number, it merely is supposed to notify you that the SIM card was changed; then you can try to find it with the new number.

Also notice this feature is still Beta, if it isn't working properly than you should email them about the problem you are having.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick reply
I have two problems
1. When the new SIM is inserted no text message is sent to the other number i have mentioned. But if i click on Test Send, it works fine and my other number gets a test SMS.
2. Second problem is in the screen after i choose SIM Card option Phone Number (which is suppose to be my number) is blank but it shows the correct SIM number if i click on Get phone data.

I am not sure if this is the problem.

Thanks again

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones