Which Android device can I use on AT&T's 3G Network

Last Updated:

1. SysAdmNj

SysAdmNj Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

by just putting my sims card in it? I've heard I can do this on tmo's nexus one. Any others? And also, I have a blackberry 9700 and get voice data simultaneously. Would this be the case if I did this with an Android phone?

Advertisement
  2. elrabin

elrabin Well-Known Member

Here is a fairly comprehensive list of current(Android 2.1) Android Devices that your sim will work in

2g(EDGE) mode only

HTC Desire
    HTC Legend
    T-mobile Nexus One
    Samsung Galaxy S(international version)
    Dell Streak
    SE Xperia X10

3g mode

Moto Backflip
    AT&T Nexus One
    Dell Aero

I hate to tell you this friend, but I just jumped ship from AT&T(6 year customer) to Verizon for the HTC Incredible and I will NEVER EVER go back.

AT&T is going to have nothing but subpar Android phones as long as they're in bed with Apple.

Android is too much competition for Apple and thus i'm sure they are pressuring AT&T to release crippled featurephone Android handsets.

The backflip and the aero are pathetic mockeries of real Android 2.1 handsets like the Moto Droid, HTC Incredible, HTC Desire, HTC Evo and Nexus One.

If you're stuck on AT&T, get the Nexus One.

If you can swap carriers recommended phones are:

T-mobile. Mytouch 3g Slide, Nexus One
    Sprint. Evo 4g
    Verizon. Motorola Droid, Droid Incredible

SysAdmNj likes this.
  3. SysAdmNj

SysAdmNj Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for that info, I didnt even know AT&T had their own Nexus one. At least I hadnt seen it on their website. And I hear you on leaving them as I want to as well and almost did yesterday back to Verizon for the Incredible but they were sold out everywhere I went. Unfortunately Sprint is weak in my area so its either AT&T or Verizon for me for now. So am I understanding this right AT&T has their own Nexus one version that will work on thier 3G network but the Tmo Nexus One will only get me EDGE?

4. HustlinDaily

HustlinDaily Well-Known Member

That post is wrong. Might be a better idea to ask somebody who is currently on AT&T lol.

Most Canadian carrier uses the same 3G network as AT&T. These include Telus and Rogers. Also Telstra in Australia uses AT&T.

Phones currently work with AT&T 3G:
    HTC Desire ($850 from Australia. HOWEVER HTC Triumph is coming to Telus in Canada which is supposedly the same phone)

Nexus One ($529+tax maybe it is not sold by AT&T, but sold by Google with AT&T bands)

Motorola Milestone (around $600. Telus. Canadian/European version of Droid)

Acer Liquid E ($430 but don't know where you can buy it. Rogers. I believe the E model has 2.1 and twice as much ram 512 as opposed to the regular Liquid with 256)

Acer Liquid on 1.6 can be rooted and install 2.1 (NO CARRIER. UNLOCKED. $360 online. WORKS ON ONE AT&T 3G BAND, the stronger 1900MHz. I am using this)

SonyEricsson Xperia X1 (from Rogers. 1.6 tho)

HTC Legend (some Canadian carrier, no clue which one. Does have AT&T 3G bands)

GSM HTC Hero (some Canadian carrier, got 2.1 today)

There might be more.

All you have to know is that AT&T 3G bands are 850/1900. If it works on one of these bands, it will work on AT&T 3G. The stronger one is 1900 and they are in the process of building their 850 out. So both would be preferable.

legion21 likes this.
  5. legion21

legion21 Well-Known Member

thanks for the information man. I never knew that and it kinda excites me honestly haha. I came to AT&T for the iphone, but now android seems so appealing! its great to know that there are more choices than the abysmal ones available directly through AT&T. If i buy one of these phones, popping my AT&T sim card in would allow them to work with no problems?

6. HustlinDaily

HustlinDaily Well-Known Member

Yep. I have an Acer Liquid which only has the 1900MHz 3G band and 3G works throughout most of the greater Houston area for me (seems like it works everywhere but in my house. But AT&T 3G was never strong in my house. My dads BB Bold does not get 3G here either, neither did my Samsung Eternity back when I had that).