Which Android phone has the longest battery life?

Last Updated:

1. SuperBaby

SuperBaby Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Which Android phone has the longest battery life?

Advertisement
  2. alextop30

alextop30 Well-Known Member

Will tell ya one thing - it is not the Evo 4G :)

3. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

my guess it will be on a GSM network...
    as I understand it... one of the benefits of GSM.. is how it does not use up as much power.

phones on ATT and Tmobile will have better battery life.

i also hear that Motorola phones do will with battery too.

4. Benjie

Benjie Well-Known Member

With no 3G service at times, it sure is not my Evo either, even with a 3500ma battery.

5. mauiblue

mauiblue Well-Known Member

Definitely not the HTC Incredible

6. SuperBaby

I am currently using HTC Hero. I now consider buying a new phone which (1) is faster and better, (2) have longer battery life.

I am quite happy with the battery (1350 mAh) of Hero. HTC has many new models but the battery is not higher than 1400 mAh and with larger screens. So I guess they are no better than Hero in term of battery life.

7. Guamguy

Guamguy Well-Known Member

I'm assuming this criteria is stock.

I'm basing this on the following factors.

1. Preferably GSM

2. Has the biggest stock battery capacity.

3. Has a smaller screen.

4. Slower clocked processor.

The Galaxy S and the Xperia X10 are notable in having 1500mah batteries but huge screens and 1GHz processors.

Potentially I would say this Android is the one with the most factors:

LG Optimus One

It has a huge 1500mah battery
    Screen is only 3.2" HVGA
    600Mhz ARM11 processor and such
    GSM and CDMA variants
    Comes stock with Android 2.2

Basically low to mid end specs but with a battery size that puts high end HTCs to shame.

8. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Basically a phone that does very little, tiny screen will be better on battery life than a phone that does a lot and has a big screen.

Battery life is not a big priority for me. I've got several spare batteries for my Android phones that I just pop in.

9. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

It's very difficult to objectively compare and I don't think anyone has done any complete and meaningful comparisons. You can attempt to use forum threads as some sort of guide but that has its pitfalls. You can look at mAh ratings of batteries but that really only tells you battery capacity and doesn't tell you anything about the device's consumption. Your specific usage really has the biggest impact on battery life. You can use some of the strategies in the reply above mine but I wouldn't expect to find a device with significantly better battery life as a result.

I'd suggest picking the device that best suits your needs based on your other criteria and then reading up on battery usage analysis and battery saving strategies.

10. marefin

marefin Well-Known Member

I read an article a few weeks ago (can't seem to find it now tho), but it said the Droid X had the best battery life. But my Captivate seems to be great on battery life. Even when it gets down to the red it seems to last for a lot longer than I think it would.

11. SuperBaby

12. marefin

marefin Well-Known Member

Yah now I remember what my issue was with this article. It had rated the battery life of Evo higher than the Captivate. Which to me seemed complete bs because I have a few friends who have the Evo and my phone seems to outlast every single one of them.

13. uzetaab

uzetaab Well-Known Member

I would avoid HTC if battery life is a concern. They don't seem to put much priority on it.

Let's face it though, there's not an Android phone out there that anyone would consider to have great battery life. They all suck.

I understand why they all choose to sacrifice battery life in favour of making the phone "slim & sexy". Some people want this, but personally, I can live with a phone that is 5mm thicker if it means the battery life is greatly increased.

What I don't understand is why they can't release a few of both kinds into their range?

14. SuperBaby

I completely agree with this. I believe the battery life can at least increased by another 40% if the phone is 5mm thicker.

15. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

There are a lot of factors that go into battery life so it is hard to say which phone has the best. There are aspects of the phones that you can seek for better battery life though.

Since the screen is typically the number one battery sucker. I would say that a phone with an amoled or super amoled screen will have better battery life. Especially if you use a black background.

Connection problems are also a big battery drainer, so a phone and plan on a network that gets very solid coverage in your area would also be a good idea.

In the end though, usage is going to be the biggest battery drainer though. I have a Fascinate and get very solid coverage in my area, but I can't keep a charge for more than 6-7 hours because I just use the phone too much.

16. JesseDegenerate

JesseDegenerate Member

Honestly I would think it would be more coverage than screen (in terms of massive battery drag)

The Amount of juice going to the radio can double in low saturation area's, i'm pretty sure making it the primary consumer of your watts!

Is there a mod (please tell me if you need to root, because i'm unfortunately stuck with an incredible that's not rootable yet until they update the reflasher. (came with 2.2) That tells you your signal strength in -db?

17. zerocool79346

zerocool79346 Well-Known Member

Settings-About Phone-Phone Status. -db is listed.

18. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

If you go to Settings > About Phone > Battery Use you will see Display as the #1 user of battery on most phones. Cell Standby comes in second for many.

19. zaftxx

zaftxx Member

doesn't the droid x have 8 hours of 3g life? i think that would make it the most.