Which Android phone/non-phone can meet my needs for lowest price?

Last Updated:

1. Shiyin

Shiyin New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello, I would be grateful for your well-informed suggestions.

In my own naivety I purchased a Blackberry Curve, and it's next to useless to me since I don't have the web service (too expensive), it doesn't transfer *.html or *.pdf files by USB, audio transfer app is buggy, and in what it does do, it's a pain to use.

I need a device to use as a PDA (calendar & tasks lists to sync with desktop software such as Outlook or similar), to read *.rtf & *.pdf documents, use *.html & JavaScript files, play audio files, take text memo notes, a simple IDE on which I can do some simple programming (preferably in Java, but another language would be ok), and use a flashcard app, such as Anki. All file transfers must be by USB.

... Oh, and I don't need it to have a phone at all, so some other device such as that Android iPad clone would be OK if it operates well, reliably, and will likely last at least a couple of years.

I'm severely limited financially, so I need to choose the cheapest one which fulfillls these needs. I'd prefer a keyboard, but if any much cheaper with touchscreen only can fulfill these requirements, it will do. Buying a used device such as from ebay would keep the price down, but I need advice on selecting one, considering that I chose something as terrible as a Blackberry.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

Er, ehhh, if you want an "iPad clone" you'll have to shell out quite a bit. The Samsung Galaxy Tab fits the bill, but chances are good it'll retail at $500. Do you have any qualms regarding specs, processor speed, screen size and the like? If not, then grab any of these from ebay:

HTC Magic (aka "myTouch 3G")
    HTC Hero (aka "Droid Eris")
    Motorola Clique
    Samsung Galaxy Spica

If you want a keyboard, then:

Motorola Backflip
    Samsung Moment

They should be all dirt-cheap by now. All have, I believe, 3.2-inch screen which should be okay for your needs. That or you could look up one of those Chinese knock-offs, but I don't think they will last you two years. There's also the Archos 5.

Huh, can't you just mount the phone's sdcard and drag/drop to it like you would any other flash drive? It's what you do with Android phones.

3. Shiyin

Shiyin New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for that list, Grainysand.

Sorry, I meant the Apad, also known as iPed, which is very cheap but its touchscreen is allegedly a little unresponsive.

I can't afford qualms, & just about anything would be an improvement.

That would be bliss. I assumed the BB would be able to do something at least vaguely similar, which is why I didn't think to question it could before buying, but no.