Which Android should I get?

Last Updated:

1. jm101

jm101 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am considering on purchasing my first Android device. I am currently on a T-Mobile Prepaid Plan right now with a old Blackberry 7100t. I currently subscribe to no data plan - and am going to probably remain without one on my next phone. I noticed that T-Mobile has a new Android Device for Prepaid called the Comet. Amazon sells it for around $150 - which sounds reasonable. I understand that it won't be blazing fast. They also sell an unlocked International LG Optimus GT540 for around $190. The version that is included with the Optimus is only 1.6. It looks like I can upgrade it to 2.2. But, I will have to download it from the LG UK Site. I also hear that it is difficult or impossible to ever get data on the Optimus. So, if I were to ever want data, it'd be hard to do. What would be better?

Thanks for your help!

Advertisement
  2. Guamguy

Guamguy Well-Known Member

Optimus GT540 updates to Android 2.1. Given the price of the GT540 to the Optimus One, just go with the Optimus One. The Optimus One is sold with differently named variants with different carriers, Optimus S for Sprint, Optimus T for T-Mobile, Vortex for Verizon. Internationally though its still Optimus One. You didn't really say if you're in the US or the UK to frame the recommendation according to your region.

The T-Mobile Comet---I believe that is the Huawei Ideos for the US. That's not a bad phone either. It comes with raw Android 2.2 without any flavor, and its designed with the help of Google actually who is interested to spread the Android world to the low end.

The Optimus T for T-Mobile also comes with Android 2.2 but its slightly themed and dressed. This also comes with a good recommendation.

I think the HTC made T-Mobile Slide is also in a big discount that that's a bargain considering its HTC. Its on Android 2.1, but I'm not sure of the status of its Android updates but HTC tends to be good with updates.

Its easy to get data on any GSM Android, and it doesn't matter what the brand is, whether its LG or HTC. Its a matter of entering the proper APN address in the wireless settings field and then activating it. I'm assuming that the phone is from the same carrier or unlocked, and you have signed up to a data contract or got a data prepaid plan going.

3. ArthurIhde

ArthurIhde Well-Known Member

that's a great advice [​IMG]

4. Siddique

Siddique Member

i think you can go with Motorola DROID X Android Phone (Verizon Wireless)
    A worthy successor to the original Droid, the Android-powered Droid X by Motorola for Verizon Wireless is a pocket-sized home theater with a massive 4.3-inch high-resolution display, HDMI high-definition output with optional cable, and 720p HD video recording capabilities. And the 1 GHz processor provides excellent response for game play, such as the preloaded EA Need for Speed Shift.

5. Guamguy

An update. The T-Mobile HTC Slide is going to get an Android 2.2 Froyo soon. From what I heard its being discounted but I can't be sure. You all can check the prices for this.

6. jm101

Thanks for your replies! I am going to see if my local T-Mobile store happens to have a Comet I can try out. I like the GT540 a little better because of the bigger screen. But, since I live in the US, and it is a UK phone, would that pose a problem?

I am not looking for a real powerful device. Just something that can get e-mail and very basic web browsing done proficiently.

Thanks once again!

7. Guamguy

If you're going to a T-Mo store in the US side, your cheaper Android choices are the Comet, Optimus T and maybe the Slide if its on promo.

You didn't seem to get that the Optimus T is LG's newest Android and should be better than the GT540, plus it has Android 2.2 out of the box. In fact, recently LG announced it has been that the Optimus One, which the Optimus T is a variant of, is their most successful smartphone so far, selling 1 million in 40 days around the world.

No to discourage your from looking at th Comet either, since I heard from many reviews that the Huawei Ideos that it is a surprisingly good phone for its price.

Between the Optimus One/T and the Comet/Ideos, you are looking at currently two of the best low end Androids in the market. So keep this in mind and enjoy the competition for your buying choice.

8. jm101

Thanks once again! I think the T-Mobile Comet looks like the best choice; especially seeing as it comes with a 2 GB Memory Card for free. I currently own an iPod touch, so this would really be just a second device. I am definitely going to consider this!

9. LaTuFu

LaTuFu Well-Known Member Contributor

Unless something has changed recently, VZW will not let you buy a Droid X without putting it on a Data plan. Its not available for prepaid plans, either.

10. jm101

As an update, I ended up getting the Comet. I really like it! It is all the smartphone I need. The Android interface and platform is great as well.

It's really cool because T-Mobile now has a plan for Pay As You Go where you get unlimited data for 24 hours at only $1.49 (however, they start decelerating speeds after 30 MB of bandwidth). Since I don't always need or use data, it's nice when I go out of town.

Thanks for everyone's help! Overall, Happy to be an Android user!

EarlyMon likes this.