Which apps best to uninstall?

Last Updated:

1. Revrusty

Revrusty Member This Topic's Starter

I introduced myself as a "digital dog" barking for "Apps! Apps! Apps!" And so I quickly filled my Hero until geting a notice saying it's too full with only 15MB left. Trouble is, I'd like to add even more.

So is there a way to make room in my phone (not my SD card) other than uninstalling? I don't think it's possible to move apps to my spacious card and link them, right? I'm still going through the apps to see which ones work and fit into my life, and don't want to uninstall any just yet. Is there another way?

Advertisement
  2. jUsT2eXy

jUsT2eXy Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm in the same boat as you.. Apps mad..then got message few days back..memory low.. :mad:

Clearing the cache will get you (depending on how much you use the internet etc) a couple of MB's ...

Other than that any app you don't use just uninstall... But I'm sure someone else will give you a few pointers.

3. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

You can install apps to the SD card, but until 2.1 comes the only way is by rooting.

4. Randy

Randy Well-Known Member

Useful only to people who know what `Rooting` is :(

5. jUsT2eXy

jUsT2eXy Well-Known Member

6. Haizum74

Haizum74 Guest

7. bzzzzz

bzzzzz Well-Known Member

To answer the original poster question

I think the way to do it is just install and then every so often scan all the applications and delete the ones you don't touch. It's also nice to check through the ones you use a lot and give a donation to those apps you really do find invaluable.

The way I'm doing it at the moment is I have Uninstaller widget on a desktop. When I'm tired of a program I hit that and remove the application (much quicker than going through the settings menu).

Secondly I use Taskpanel. Regular purging of the background tasks seems to keep the memory healthy.

To illustrate my point I'm currently trying to decide which is the best weather app. I'm torn between weather channel and weather bug. I'm running both and hopefully I'll find that I gravitate more towards one of them.

8. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Yeah, just delete the ones you don't use. Its easy just to leave them there "just in case", but you never use them anyway!

9. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Ha! I knew I'd seen your name somewhere before.... great intro, btw. Glad your wish was fulfilled. :)

As others have mentioned, the only solution right now is to uninstall any that you don't use, or use infrequently.

It is, but it involves repartitioning your memory card, and replacing your handset's recovery image with a custom one that in turn allows installing a custom i.e. 'cooked' ROM that provides Apps2SD functionality. There's an excellent sticky at the top of this forum by Quantumrand which outlines the procedure and give an idea of what's involved, should you wish to go down this road.

Edit: just noticed your using the CDMA handset, Rev. You're probably better asking the guys over there, but from memory the latest Fresh ROM has Apps2SD support. It certainly appears to be a fast and reliable ROM judging by the comments I've seen.

10. Revrusty

Revrusty Member This Topic's Starter

Ummm, where? Because I don't see a CDMA forum. (Am I getting that old and feeble?)

11. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator