• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which AT&T android to get???

I'm quickly falling out of love with Samsung. I've got a Captivate that I've had for about a year and I doubt my next phone will be another Samsung.

Biggest complaints?
1. GPS is defective. Out of the box, it was useless. A couple fixes later and it was useable. Now it's deteriorated to the point of being useless again.
2. RFS filesystem is slow, doesn't cache writes and blocks until operations are complete. This leads to frequent lags and lockups.
3. OS updates are usually about 9 months behind. Froyo came out in May 2010, got it on Captivate in Feb 2011.
4. No front-facing camera or flash.

Of those, 1, 2 and (probably) 3 are still a problem with the Infuse as far as I can tell. Sounds like #4 is at least better.

I'm tempted to get a Nexus-branded phone so that I can get a nice clean OS with timely updates but the AT&T versions of these always seem to lag behind the others.

Anyone have a (relatively new) Android phone with AT&T that they're absolutely thrilled with, that also has...
- at least Gingerbread (preferably without having to unlock or root)
- a front-facing camera
- a flash on the high-res camera
- solid GPS
- reasonably infrequent lockups and lag

Upvote 0
Anyone have a (relatively new) Android phone with AT&T that they're absolutely thrilled with, that also has...
- a front-facing camera
- solid GPS
I've been using the Samsung Galaxy S II (GT-I9100) since June and love it. I think the AT&T version of this phone, rumored to be called Attain, should have a release date announced soon. I've had no real issue with the phone, just some of the 3rd party software not being coded to support the phone all the time (most notable was a 3rd party app that used the camera to record video not supporting 720 or 1080 resolutions, but they finally got that fixed in latest release of the software). Has all your asking for: Gingerbread, 2M front camera, 8M rear camera with flash, good GPS and few lockups (I think every lockup I had was an app and I would get the force closed option so the phone didn't lockup as a whole).

Upvote 0
I'm quickly falling out of love with Samsung. I've got a Captivate that I've had for about a year and I doubt my next phone will be another Samsung.

Biggest complaints?
1. GPS is defective. Out of the box, it was useless. A couple fixes later and it was useable. Now it's deteriorated to the point of being useless again.
2. RFS filesystem is slow, doesn't cache writes and blocks until operations are complete. This leads to frequent lags and lockups.
3. OS updates are usually about 9 months behind. Froyo came out in May 2010, got it on Captivate in Feb 2011.
4. No front-facing camera or flash.

Of those, 1, 2 and (probably) 3 are still a problem with the Infuse as far as I can tell. Sounds like #4 is at least better.

I'm tempted to get a Nexus-branded phone so that I can get a nice clean OS with timely updates but the AT&T versions of these always seem to lag behind the others.

- a front-facing camera
- solid GPS

Don't blame Samsung for your Captivate not have a front facing camera, because the Sprint version has it. Not sure about the other two variants. Can't really comment on much else. :)

Upvote 0
Don't blame Samsung for your Captivate not have a front facing camera, because the Sprint version has it. Not sure about the other two variants. Can't really comment on much else. :)

I thought the verizon (fascinate) and tmobile (vibrant) versions of the captivate had ffc. Guess att wanted to save that extra $2 in parts. But an instore employee made a comment back when the captivate was released and i was trying to decide if i wanted it he said that att didn't want anything at that point that could compete against its bread and butter the iphone.

Upvote 0
I love my inspire to death...can't wait for the Holiday!!

I am in the same boat as the op, interested in switching to android, but not in love with any AT&T handsets yet (or any other Android phone for that matter) The Holiday looks very intriguing, as does the SGSII HD LTE, but both these phones seem to be vapor ware for the U.S. market. I am sure this has been discussed before, but why is that? Also, is there some generally recognized time frame from when Rodgers gets a phone to it being released in the U.S.? Thanks for any insights....

Upvote 0
I am in the same boat as the op, interested in switching to android, but not in love with any AT&T handsets yet (or any other Android phone for that matter) The Holiday looks very intriguing, as does the SGSII HD LTE, but both these phones seem to be vapor ware for the U.S. market. I am sure this has been discussed before, but why is that? Also, is there some generally recognized time frame from when Rodgers gets a phone to it being released in the U.S.? Thanks for any insights....
GS2 HD LTE is going to come out around Thanksgiving according to Mr. Ed, FYI if you want more info on the phone check out the "Samsung Celox" section of the forum

Reactions: Scottie137
Upvote 0
I will probably look at the Samsung Galaxy Note , the closest available device as an alternate to the Dell Streak (tablet/phone combo). I'd probably not purchase it through AT&T, maybe when the device hits Amazon or other sources.
dellanim.gif

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones