• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which ATT phone most like RAZR MAXX HD?

Marc_G

Feb 5, 2011
Indianapolis Area
Hi folks,

Due to very poor Verizon signal in the building where I work, I will be switching carriers to ATT, who have repeaters in the building and the signal is excellent.

My phone is a Verizon-issued DROID RAZR MAXX HD. Apparently, it is "possible to get it to work on the ATT network" but the 4G bands it supports are just a subset of ATTs, so it won't be a smooth transition that would let me get the most out of it. So, it looks like I need to get a new phone.

What on ATT's list is the most similar? At this point, it looks like the S5 is the best way to go, but it is a bit bigger than my RMHD, and I wish there was something just a bit closer. Key features include:

-Form factor / robustness without a case or screen protector. My RMHD has done just fine naked. And I really want to stay the same size, or as close as possible.
-Battery life. Lovin' my MAXX. Not looking to switch to something with short life, though I understand I may not be able to get something quite so long lasting.
-Multicolor LED controllable by LiteFlow. The way I use the phone, visual notifications in various colors are absolutely a deal breaker.
-Strong preference for a microSD slot. This lets out the Nexus 5, right? I could flex on this one spec if really needed.
-Must include front and rear cameras.

Other than that I'm pretty open.

Any discussion appreciated.

Marc

Well, that leaves it pretty wide open.
If battery life is your main concern, I'd take a look at the LG G2 (or soon to be released G3 if you can hold out). It's pretty stellar for me. Form factor is nice as there's little to no bezel, but the back is pretty slippery. I have a really thin case on it just for that reason.
However, it does not have an SD Card slot and the stock software takes a LOT of usable ROM away.

I know not much about it, but perhaps look into the Samsung Galaxy 5 Active? Looks to be pretty durable, has an SD Card slot but I've heard mixed reactions to battery life. However, it is removable.
HTC One M8 is certainly a good option as well and should fit the bulk of your criteria.

Last but not least, there's always the Moto X to be considered. It'll be the closest in terms of software to your Droid. But, no SD Card slot and cameras aren't the best, but not bad. According to my wife who has one, she says battery life is fine, but nothing spectacular. Plus, you have Moto Maker at your disposal for creating a personalized one. :)
She has the wood back with her name engraved on it, so no case for her.

Upvote 0
e3ahamem.jpg
I once used an atrix hd with a maxx battery with it...but I recommend keeping the maxx as a backup with the Moto X as a main device
aqyby2ap.jpg

Upvote 0
I visited ATT at lunch. They seemed reasonably sure my RMHD would do well with their service after a Sim card swap. I have heard mixed reviews on it, myself. Mostly older reports. Will post a thread in the RMHD subforum.

If I do swap phones, the MotoX looks like a pretty similar phone to my RAZR Maxx HD. Really liked the S5 but it's just too big for my hand I think. Same for the HTC One.

Marc

Upvote 0
I visited ATT at lunch. They seemed reasonably sure my RMHD would do well with their service after a Sim card swap. I have heard mixed reviews on it, myself. Mostly older reports. Will post a thread in the RMHD subforum.

If I do swap phones, the MotoX looks like a pretty similar phone to my RAZR Maxx HD. Really liked the S5 but it's just too big for my hand I think. Same for the HTC One.

Marc

You would get their hspa+ at most your highest speed data wise may be 14-18 if you are lucky, but will be consistent

Upvote 0
I think G2 is probably the closest to one to Maxx HD in terms of battery life and form factor. It's just a little bigger but smaller than S5, M8.

You will be surprised at its battery life, might even beat Maxx HD. I got G2 for my wife on at&t earlier this year. It came with KK pre-loaded and its battery life crushes everything that I had so far.

Upvote 0
If I love to my Razr Maxx also and got a note 3 which I hate compared to my Razr Maxx. GPS does not work have the time and especially in remote areas where my razor max used to work. and my internet only works when I'm traveling If I'm in a town or stop somewhere with my booster antenna up and using my booster. Verizon has been great to try to help me hi have a support person spend an hour with me just to get it to the point where I knew what manipulations I had to do to get this far. I'm going to try to sell my note 3 and get something else. preferably Motorola. I'd like to wait for the quantum but I don't know since it's not really even a done deal by Motorola yet. Thanks for any feedback u can give me.

Upvote 0
If I love to my Razr Maxx also and got a note 3 which I hate compared to my Razr Maxx. GPS does not work have the time and especially in remote areas where my razor max used to work. and my internet only works when I'm traveling If I'm in a town or stop somewhere with my booster antenna up and using my booster. Verizon has been great to try to help me hi have a support person spend an hour with me just to get it to the point where I knew what manipulations I had to do to get this far. I'm going to try to sell my note 3 and get something else. preferably Motorola. I'd like to wait for the quantum but I don't know since it's not really even a done deal by Motorola yet. Thanks for any feedback u can give me.

Whats a quantum?

Upvote 0
Hi guys. As the OP on this thread I figured I should pipe in and let you know my observations so far. I ended up with two phones on ATT due to odd circumstances and haven't figured out for sure which to keep.

One is a Moto X which feels awesome in the hand and gives excellent battery life. However, the screen is a bit smaller than the RMHD and tough on my eyes. Also the active display notifications aren't yet customizable to the extent I would like. Not an adequate replacement for the multicolor LED.

Also got a Samsung S4. Had an issue with it and it was away for warranty repair and just got it back. I'm playing with custom ROMs via safestrap at the moment. But its screen is awesome. And it has multicolor led. But it feels like crap in the hand and build quality doesn't impress me. Battery life weak with standard bloatware. May be better on different ROM.

Probably will keep the S4 until something more attractive comes down the pike at a reasonable used price. I just wish there was a slightly larger X with a multicolor LED...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones