1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

General Which bloatware have you disabled?

1. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

When I first received the phone I noticed that the "Caller Name ID" app would pop up when I received a call. Well, ok, I thought; unnecessary but harmless. However, after a while I received a popup telling me that this was a 15 day trial and I could start an account, etc. No thanks!

(Seriously - Verizon, if you are going to preinstall an app on my phone, let's make it something that doesn't make me pay to use it, or that can be uninstalled, ok?)

When I went into the app, I noticed no way to get it to stop running.

So, I went on a bloatware disabling spree. Here is what I have disabled:

- Caller Name ID
    - Verizon Mobile Security
    - Verizon Tones
    - Viewdini
    - VZ Navigator

I haven't had any issues with the phone since then. Has anybody else disabled anything? Have you noticed any problems?

(In each case, I choose to uninstall updates for any app that had an update installed before I disabled it.)

Advertisement
  2. Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan Well-Known Member

Here is my list of disabled apps:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Lucky Armpit likes this.
  3. Outatime

Outatime Well-Known Member

With the exception of the Caller ID app, does doing this really impact anything?
  4. Cincybearcatfan

It removes them from my app drawer.
  5. Thom

Thom Premium Guide Member Guide

Try Nova Launcher Prime ($4). Remove them from the App Drawer without disabling. It also gives some simply great control over the home screen(s).

... Thom
    Einsteindks likes this.
  6. Cincybearcatfan

I have it ;) I've been using it since day one with my Gnex. I know that I can remove them from the app drawer that way too, but they are still active if I don't disable them. No need to have them "potentially" firing up for any reason. The stupid NFL app kept nagging me at random times about non-sense. That had to go. :mad:
  7. Outatime

I've had Nova since it was in beta. Paid for Prime the day it went live. I'm not using it right now though... I'm trying to track down my battery drain. My overnight loss seems to be running around 8-10% which seems a bit much to me. That's with WiFi on, Bluetooth off. I have nothing else aside from the included stuff polling. I even deleted WeatherBug and any non-factory weather widgets.
  8. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

1percent per hour? That sounds about right. The phone is still pulsing, if you watch it.

Why don't you plug it in while you are sleeping? (In fact, why doesn't everybody?) If you think it harms your battery to leave it plugged in after it reaches full charge, that's a fallacy.
  9. Outatime

Oh no, I don't have a problem with leaving it plugged in. It's just a good way of seeing how much background battery drain you're getting.
  10. Lucky Armpit

Lucky Armpit Well-Known Member

Thanks for this thread. Disabling the bloat is Priority #1 when I receive my Maxx.
  11. Optimus Prune

Optimus Prune Well-Known Member

Didn't plug mine in last night and got about 1% an hour drain. Here's a screenshot from Battery Widget Reborn. Went to bed at 11pm at around 56% and woke up at 6:30am to 49%. Nothing turned off overnight.

[​IMG]
    Cincybearcatfan and Outatime like this.
  12. Highland Ranger

Highland Ranger Well-Known Member

I disabled all of it. Not really a big deal. Half dozen programs?
  13. Lucky Armpit

Lucky Armpit Well-Known Member

Amazon
    Amazon
    Amazon Kindle
    Amazon Appstore
    Audible
    Caller Name ID
    Google Play Books
    Google Play Magazines
    Google Play Movies & TV
    Google+
    Ingress
    Movie Studio
    My Verizon Mobile
    NFL Mobile
    Verizon Login
    Verizon Mobile Security
    Verizon Tones
    VMware Ready
    Voicemail
    VZ Navigator

Total = 20

Most of these will be permanently removed if/when root is achieved.
  14. Outatime

You didn't mess around!!! :D
  15. golfbiz

golfbiz Well-Known Member

too funny, although I use amzn a lot....although wish the prime movies worked on android instead of just ios and kindle
  16. redddog

redddog Well-Known Member

Here's a question...

Without root, how are you all disabling these and what are the potential isses with doing that?
  17. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

If you drag an app from the app drawer, when the home screen appears, there is some text that says App Info on the upper right. Drag the icon there.

From there you can disable (most) apps.

You can also go into settings, apps and tap any app there.

There are some system apps that would be an issue to disable. But most of the preinstalled apps, which cannot be uninstalled, can be disabled.
  18. Thom

If you use Nova ... Nova Launcher Pro ... ($4) ... you can create another Drawer group and move them from the All drawer to the new one you created. That way you never have to look at them.

Deleting them outright when you are root-ed is a bad idea. It is likely to cause the next OTA to fail.

... Thom
  19. redddog

redddog Well-Known Member

Anything that will screw the phone up if it's disabled?
  20. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

These are the things that I have disabled:

Amazon Appstore
    Audible
    Caller Name ID
    Droid Zapp
    EMail
    Migrate
    NFL Mobile
    Verizon Mobile Security
    Verizon Tones
    Viewdini
    VZ Navigator

The phone is not screwed up with these disabled.
  21. Thom

Using Nova Launcher Prime I jut created a drawer group and moved in those I wanted to hide. I did not bother disabling any of them (yet).

A screenshot of the new drawer group is shown below.

... Thom

Attached Files:

22. golfbiz

golfbiz Well-Known Member

use nova launcher on my nexus 7 tablet but like the current motlauncher on the maxx....
  23. tbhausen

tbhausen Well-Known Member

I only disable the NFL app after I updated it, but that's VZW's fault for sloppy programming. Updating the old app when prompted installs the new but leaves the old, as well. Grrr.....
  24. Picksmaxx

Picksmaxx New Member

Here's my list so far.

Amazon
    Amazon Shopping
    Amazon Kindle
    Amazon MP3
    Amazon Appstore
    Audible
    Caller Name ID
    Droid Zap
    Google Play Books
    Google Play Magazines
    Google Play Movies & TV
    Google Play Music
    Hangouts
    Ingress
    Migrate
    Mobile Hotspot
    My InfoZone
    NFL Mobile
    Quickoffice
    Verizon Login
    Verizon Mobile Security
    Verizon Tones
    Viewdini
    Voicemail
    VZ Navigator

No ill effects on phone.
    Would also like to disable theses. But not until further information found.

Demo Mode
    Emergency Alerts
    Google+
    Migrate Reader Library
    Migrate Writer Library
    Moto Chinese Input
    Moto Smart Handwriting
    Moto Stroke
    Moto (Chinese characters)

Any help on the above will be appricated.

Installed these apps

File Manager
    Flashlight+
    MX Player Pro
    Poweramp Full Version
    SwiftKey

By the way, this is my first smartphone EVER. How am I doing?
  25. rabidhunter

rabidhunter Well-Known Member

Quite impressive! :D