which brand of class 6, 16GB microSD should i get?General

Last Updated:

1. timwaters27

timwaters27 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I am about to buy a class 6 16gb microSD card, but I've been reading that you should be sure to get a good brand. I was looking at one called TopRam which goes for just under $50. is that a safe bet, or has anyone had better experiences with another one?

Advertisement
  2. sslamster

sslamster Member

I bought the RiDATA 8GB class 6 microSD card and I am pleased with it. Someone did a speed comparison in another thread and showed that the RiDATA cards are one of the faster ones out.

3. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

It's very wise to go with a high rated brand.

The one that keeps coming out on top at Best MicroSD Cards is Transcend Class 6 cards.

Sandisk is usually up there at #1 or #2, also. <--- that's the brand I purchased.

There are horror stories about cheap cards locking up at about 25% of the rated capacity or even becoming permanently inaccessible.

4. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

I heard EXACTLY the opposite about Transcend.

I specifically avoided Transcend because of reader reviews and speed tests.

But different places, you hear different things!

I'm very happy with my RiDATA 16GB class 6, and it was $45.99 shipped.

Well worth it IMO.

5. ExcessiveIdling

ExcessiveIdling Well-Known Member

Wish the darn 16gb ridata card I got from newegg worked....sigh...now awaiting RMA.

Wierd though, I know the data wasnt corrupted but if I tried to copy anything past 5 gig or so the card would give me crc errors....UNLESS..I used fiance's card reader usb adaptor..then I was able to copy things to the card, however upon inserting card into eris...eris said it was damaged (formatted fat32 and everything) so sadly RMA.

6. Frisco

(deleted to add quoted post)

7. Frisco

"I heard" and a link to a site with reviews are different approaches to making a decision about the quality of a component.

I just googled "Transcend microsd card reviews" and found one negative among dozens of positive reviews. I am sure there are more negative reviews to be found, as this is true of any device or component of a device purchased.

However that brand of microsd cards is in every single piece of memory-borne equipment we use at our facility, including over 600 monitoring devices and nearly two thousand special paging units; never a glitch, memory loss or degradation of data in years of duty.

8. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

The only place I 'hear' things is reviews at places like buy and amazon.com etc. When I say 'hear', that's all I mean.

I read that the RiDATA's get RMA'd a lot more often, and speed comparison tests that put either at a high rate of speed, and either at a low rate of speed.

My decision was more related to cost than anything, but a few reviews that I read, (in the wrong place at the wrong time?) turned me off to the Transcend thing.

For A-Data, the case was a lot worse. But for A-DATA, Transcend, and RiDATA, I also read comparisons that put the SanDisk (and other much more well known brands) Class 4 FASTER than the other brands' Class 6. Maybe better made? I don't know.

9. Frisco

So, to summarize, Timewaters; Transcend, SanDisk and Lexar pan out over the long haul to be the fastest, most reliable of the microsd cards for devices such as cell phones and other sensitive equipment.

Don't go for sales on those, either, as the lower prices often indicate poor warehousing (as in temperature control and handling, etc) and/or very long on-the-shelf storage.

Some who get the cheapos are ok with it, as are some who get good ones at huge discounts, but they are likely just quite fortunate in a crap-shoot; get the best at the brand name's price to be closer to certain that you really are in fact getting the best.

10. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

I'm holding off for a 32gig class 6 . I'm guessing when we get 2.x we'll be able to use a 32gig plus I can take it with me for any future Android phones I get (incredible/N1 )

11. Ty07allstar

Ty07allstar Well-Known Member