• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which case do you guys think looks the best?

I have an eBay clear TPU one: ...

Have you had a chance to try an NFC transaction with the case installed? It shouldn't make any difference since the polyurethane (PU) isn't a conductor.

Also, the "T" means thermoplastic, so the addition of some amount of heat will presumably make the case more pliable. Since others have mentioned that the N4 can get hot at times, have you noticed any tactile difference in the TPU case if it's gotten warmer while in your pocket while standing around the campfire for instance, or when the phone is in sunlight, etc.?

Does the case feel more tacky or pliable then? "TPU" is a fairly broad category of recipes, so it's hard to know what the threshold temperature is for any given eBay item ... hopefully it won't become tacky enough to pick up pocket lint?

Upvote 0
I haven tried a transaction, but my phone picks up my debit card in my wallet, which is in my jeans pocket with the case on.

When you say "picks up my debit card", do you mean some NFC feedback? Can you be specific about what you mean, please?

BTW, I've had a debit card rendered useless by simple proximity in the same pocket with a regular cellphone ... I'd think a smartphone with [34]G/LTE would be even more destructive of the information on that magnetic stripe.

Upvote 0
I've been carrying my smartphone in my left front pants pocket for years. The perfect case for me is a "sleeve or pouch" that the phone slips into. That way the screen is protected without using one of those silly clear screen protectors.

Lucky for me Sena makes the perfect case for my needs.
Called the "Ultraslim" it's premium leather, terrific looking, and I've got matching Ultrathins for my every smartphone and tablet I own.

Check them out here:
Sena Cases - Designer Leather Cases : Galaxy S 3 Leather Cases UltraSlim

Upvote 0
That's what I mean, it picks up the presence of my card's NFC chip.

I'm sorry, but I still don't understand what you're saying.

Is there some indication on the screen of your Nexus 4 phone that your debit card is nearby? Without divulging any personal information (e.g. "xxxxx" for "01234") what precisely are you seeing, please?

Debit cards don't have NFC "chips" (or "tags"), but rather formatted magnetic stripes which require full-length passage along the detector for any sort of complete transactional recognition.

So what are you seeing please? Take your time, use the full English language or (since a picture is worth a thousand words) an edited photo or screenshot with any personal info blurred or otherwise protected.

Enquiring minds want to know!

Upvote 0
I ordered option 3 the clear Kays Case hard shell. I though it was arriving yesterday but when I opened the box it had the Black Soft S-line case. I was a little confused and disappointed until I got to the nice letter enclosed that said that the shipping of the clear case was delayed until 11-30-12 and that the black case was mine to keep and that they would ship the clear one as soon as possible.

The S-line is a nice case, pretty grippy but still slides into a pocket easily. Dropped the phone for the first time with it on last night off the couch will no ill effects.

What a great way to generate customer loyalty.

Roger

Upvote 0
I'm sorry, but I still don't understand what you're saying.

Is there some indication on the screen of your Nexus 4 phone that your debit card is nearby? Without divulging any personal information (e.g. "xxxxx" for "01234") what precisely are you seeing, please?

Debit cards don't have NFC "chips" (or "tags"), but rather formatted magnetic stripes which require full-length passage along the detector for any sort of complete transactional recognition.

So what are you seeing please? Take your time, use the full English language or (since a picture is worth a thousand words) an edited photo or screenshot with any personal info blurred or otherwise protected.

Enquiring minds want to know!
Debit and credit cards that have Paypass functionality do have some kind of tag inside that allows the user to tap to pay, just like using NFC. I'm not sure that it is NFC that they're using, but a lot of banks offer these types of cards. Odds are he has one of these cards and thats why his phone reacts when they touch. It's happened to me before on my Galaxy Nexus.

EDIT: More info

http://www.paypass.com/
http://www.mastercard.us/paypass.html#/home/

Reactions: hstroph
Upvote 0
Debit and credit cards that have Paypass functionality do have some kind of tag inside that allows the user to tap to pay, just like using NFC. I'm not sure that it is NFC that they're using, but a lot of banks offer these types of cards. Odds are he has one of these cards and thats why his phone reacts when they touch. It's happened to me before on my Galaxy Nexus.

EDIT: More info

http://www.paypass.com/
http://www.mastercard.us/paypass.html#/home/

Exactly.

If I put my phone on my pocket it beeps to indicate it knows the card is there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones