• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Which category of Play Store should the utility app be in?

James_Watson

Android Enthusiast
  • Dec 8, 2014
    okblackcafe.blogspot.com
    Hi,
    Have a good weekend to you all.
    biggrin.gif

I have an accurate unit converter app which is distributed on Google Play.
    I just wonder which category of Play Store the app should be in in order that this utility app could be discovered easily.
    Is it Productivity or Tools?

Thank you very much in advance.

I am getting confused just because of the Play Store guide about category example.
    https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/113475

According to this guide(Categories -> Apps -> Category examples), a "conversion" app should be in category of "Productivity".

But in fact, I found so many unit converter apps are in category of "Tools" on Play Store.

So how should I make a choice? :(

Upvote 0
    I'd say pick whichever category you think (or think your users will think) that it fits best in.

You can always change it later if you want/need to...so I don't think you're locked-in to your initial selection.

Also, I just a received this notification last week in my Developer Console that you might also find interesting:

upload_2016-7-31_21-58-18.png

Don't know exactly when this will happen, but that might help you (or, LOL, make it even harder to) choose :).

Cheers!

Upvote 0
    I'd say pick whichever category you think (or think your users will think) that it fits best in.

You can always change it later if you want/need to...so I don't think you're locked-in to your initial selection.

Also, I just a received this notification last week in my Developer Console that you might also find interesting:

Don't know exactly when this will happen, but that might help you (or, LOL, make it even harder to) choose :).

Cheers!

Thank you. I also received that notification last week. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones