• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Which ClockworkMod Recovery do you use?

I have both 'Droid X Bootstrapper' and 'ROM Manager', do I need both? It seems to me that ROM Manager does a lot more than Droid X Bootstrapper, so I didn't know if I needed both or if I can get rid of the Bootstrapper. Or is ROM Manager using the Bootstrapper?

If this has been covered a million times already I appologize. I spent about 10 minutes trying to find information on this on my own and couldn't find a definitive answer to this specific question.

Thanks.

I, too, have been looking for the answer to this question. I downloaded Rom Manager as soon as I got root but have yet to find a need for it. Ive used Droid X Bootstrapper a few times and worked great. Im just keeping them around because you never know when you might need them but Im not sure I understand the usefulness of rom manager quite yet.

Upvote 0
I, too, have been looking for the answer to this question. I downloaded Rom Manager as soon as I got root but have yet to find a need for it. Ive used Droid X Bootstrapper a few times and worked great. Im just keeping them around because you never know when you might need them but Im not sure I understand the usefulness of rom manager quite yet.

I have both but have only used bootstrap so far and I've backed up and restored Nandroids, installed themes and roms, not sure what I'd need Rom manager for.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the clarification bot. I had originally downloaded ROM Manager, then I downloaded Droid X Bootstrapper to perform my nandroid backup. But then when I was looking around in ROM Manager and I saw 'Backup Current ROM'. So I ran it, and it seemed to be doing the exact same thing as the other program did. So that made me figure I really only needed one of them.

Then it occured to me that perhaps ROM Manager was using the bootstrapper app (sort of like when you turn the key in your car it sends a signal to the starter to fire up the engine), which made me a bit hesitant about removing bootstrapper (like removing the starter from my car).

What really tweaked my interest was seeing that they were both written by Kousch (spell?), so I figured they must be working in conjunction with each other.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the clarification bot. I had originally downloaded ROM Manager, then I downloaded Droid X Bootstrapper to perform my nandroid backup. But then when I was looking around in ROM Manager and I saw 'Backup Current ROM'. So I ran it, and it seemed to be doing the exact same thing as the other program did. So that made me figure I really only needed one of them.

Then it occured to me that perhaps ROM Manager was using the bootstrapper app (sort of like when you turn the key in your car it sends a signal to the starter to fire up the engine), which made me a bit hesitant about removing bootstrapper (like removing the starter from my car).

What really tweaked my interest was seeing that they were both written by Kousch (spell?), so I figured they must be working in conjunction with each other.

yeah, koush makes clockworkmod recovery, rom manger and made the droid x bootstrap that let us get a custom recovery

Upvote 0
Isn't the Droid X Bootrapper supposed to send your phone into recovery each time you reboot?

Since I did a *22899 yesterday, it no longer does that. I even did a nandroid restore to no avail. Should I try maybe doing an uninstall reinstall of the app?

Thanks.

Also sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread.

Upvote 0
Isn't the Droid X Bootrapper supposed to send your phone into recovery each time you reboot?

Since I did a *22899 yesterday, it no longer does that. I even did a nandroid restore to no avail. Should I try maybe doing an uninstall reinstall of the app?
It didn't for me for a few weeks and after I flashed my phone yesterday it reboots into recovery every time, I thought it was messed up, guess it's actually fixed. I'd rather it only boot into recovery manually, is there a way to set that up?

Upvote 0
I'm just hoping Bootstrapper does what it's supposed to do now. Somehow my phone got a factory reset while downloading the Beesley Buld.prop ROM for the OC. So now I'm trying to get back to where I was before this happened. Luckily, RIGHT before going into ROM Manager I had gone into Bootstrapper and hit Bootsrtap Recovery, so it should be ready for me to recover... right?

So now when I hit Reboot Recovery it takes me into recovery do I choose restore? Or advanced restore? I choose advanced restore at first and it asked me if I wanted to restore the boot? Or restore the system? Or the Cache, etc... I wasn't sure which one so I backed out of it and then went just to the regular restore and clicked on it and..........

BINGO!!!

Ah hells to the yeah bitches!!! What a coincidence I just so happened to start this thread today after almost returning Bootstrapper to save myself $2 bucks because I had assumed that ROM Manager did the same thing and more. Boy was I wrong, when I tried to recover in ROM Manager the restore failed. Went into Bootstrapper and it's all back to normal. Aaaahhhhhhh, what a relief!!! Thank you Bootstrapper, you just earned yourself 5 starts and an excellent review!

Best $2 bucks I've spent in a while!

Upvote 0
I'm just hoping Bootstrapper does what it's supposed to do now. Somehow my phone got a factory reset while downloading the Beesley Buld.prop ROM for the OC. So now I'm trying to get back to where I was before this happened. Luckily, RIGHT before going into ROM Manager I had gone into Bootstrapper and hit Bootsrtap Recovery, so it should be ready for me to recover... right?

So now when I hit Reboot Recovery it takes me into recovery do I choose restore? Or advanced restore? I choose advanced restore at first and it asked me if I wanted to restore the boot? Or restore the system? Or the Cache, etc... I wasn't sure which one so I backed out of it and then went just to the regular restore and clicked on it and..........

BINGO!!!

Ah hells to the yeah bitches!!! What a coincidence I just so happened to start this thread today after almost returning Bootstrapper to save myself $2 bucks because I had assumed that ROM Manager did the same thing and more. Boy was I wrong, when I tried to recover in ROM Manager the restore failed. Went into Bootstrapper and it's all back to normal. Aaaahhhhhhh, what a relief!!! Thank you Bootstrapper, you just earned yourself 5 starts and an excellent review!

Best $2 bucks I've spent in a while!
I think you have to have Bootstrap, but Rom Manager is optional with a easier UI. I have never had a problem recovering in Bootstrap and never have used Rom Manager and don't see the need to if it doesn't always work.

Upvote 0
Actually this event sort of gave me the impression that it's a good idea to have both. Who knows, maybe next time Bootstrapper would fail, I'm going to keep as many doors open as I can. It was sooo disappointing when ROM Manager failed to recover my system, so I would hate to leave all my eggs in one basket anywhere.

Which brings me to my next question, how exactly does Titanium Backup work in a time like this. That was going to be my third option, although I had not done a fresh backup just before my attempt to flash the ROM last night. It's set to do a backup every morning, so it would have been good enough, but not quite as up to date as the Bootstrapper recovery was.

All of my apps were already preloading themselves right off of the market thanks to the Google cloud. But does TiBackup save your system, or just the apps like the Google cloud does?

Upvote 0
Oh I see. I guess I didn't remember how I'd set it up. So say for instance everything got wiped from my phone (like it did) and for some strange reason TiBackup did not get reloaded through the Google cloud... could I go back into the Market, download it all over again, go into the restore settings, and pull up my last restore point? Would it be able to navigate its way to where ever that back up is stored (I'm assuming on the SD card) even if it wasn't the original app that had made the backup?

I only ask because when my phone first booted last night after the factory reset, I looked in my app drawer and there was barely anything in it. And I freaked out at first because I didn't know if redownloading the Bootstrapper, ROM Manager or Titanium Backup would work if they weren't the original version that had done the backup in the first place.

But as it turned out all my apps were in the process of redownloading themselves right off of the Market. When I went into the Market and clicked on 'Downloads', it showed up that it was downloading 141 apps!!! LMAO

Upvote 0
TBH, I really like the idea of the cloud restore, I just don't know enough about it. I don't know if all apps behave nicely with it and store their settings properly. Do my save games restore? Do all of my apps store all of their data in the cloud? I don't know these things, so I stick with what I've got that I know is reliable.

One of these days I'll do some real testing with the cloud restore feature and see how comprehensive it is.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones