Which do you carry?

Last Updated: 2013-02-24 16:10:17
  1. shelliewnj

shelliewnj Well-Known Member

The thought for this thread came from another one discussing the benefits of different types of phones, but I felt it deserved it's own thread because i have often wondered, which do you prefer? :rolleyes:

I carry my phone with me everywhere. I actually need to get a bigger SD card for it (and figure out how to transfer everything over) because I am filling up my 8 gigs, which I never thought I would fill in a million years!

But I LOVE my tablet. I bring it when I know I am going to have free time on my hands, as well as it following me around the house. It's in my kitchen with my recipes on it, in the bedroom on a stand with a movie or a book, and well, other places too :p

I know some people carry the larger sized phones so they don't have to carry a tablet, and some people carry both with dedicated backpacks so they can have all their electrics (as my kids call them) with them at all times.

So.... which do you carry?

Advertisement
  2. dynomot

dynomot Well-Known Member

My SGSIII. That's it. It serves me fantastically, I email the office from it, recieve stuff from the office. Email site photos to clients, take personal and work calls on it. Browse the net, order my shopping. Oh and listen to over 20 Gig of music when driving for work between sites. You name it I probably do it. Yes somethings are easier on a tablet or PC, but I more than get by, I enjoy using it.
  3. dibblebill

dibblebill Well-Known Member

I take my Rise everywhere. My Acer Iconia usually comes along, too, but not always.
  4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

I can't even justify having a tablet, so my S3 is good enough when out and about. Laptop at home. No Tablet, no Desktop
  5. shelliewnj

No desktop here either. Couldn't justify tablet, but got one as a gift :) I end up using it for work and play, so turns out it was justifiable
  6. SUroot

Yep that makes sense. I'm either on the move (literally) or at a Desk / Sofa. I wouldn't choose a tablet over my desktop because I like typing. I wouldn't want a tablet on a bus. I struggle with room. Even if I got a tablet free, as much as I'd enjoy using it, I'm not sure where or when I would use it.
  7. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

yeah.. i was in that position too.. why do i need a tablet? got a big 17" laptop and my SGS3.

got a nexus7... damn it! my SGS3 dont get much love now.

the SGS3 is great .. when I am out and about town.
  8. treb1797

treb1797 Well-Known Member

Just buy a Note 2 & this whole dilemma goes away. :thumb:
  9. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

I used to want the Note2.. really really wanted it.
    but it does create a too big a phone.. and too smaller a tablet.

phone below 5"..keeping the over all size same as SGS3 or smaller.
    and
    tablet about 8" with a smart-stylus ..keeping the over all size about nexus7 or smaller.

that is great combo
  10. saptech

saptech Well-Known Member

I carry my phone with me the most. I do not take the tablet everyplace I go for security purposes!
  11. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

Phone everywhere since it's a reference library. Tablet on trips - same stuff as on the phone, but tablet uses a full usb and I can bring videos on a USB stick since tablet is wifi only. Easier on the eyes and control in a car. My phone gets turned off - usually in areas with no signal. The Vulcan's Nokia 6085 stays on. Uses less battery.
  12. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

I admit to using my tablet less and less (recently upgraded from Galaxy 7 to the new version, too :rolleyes:), since purchasing the Note 2.

Anybody want a nice new Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 version 2, not rooted but with Nova looking great and .. oh, gotta head to Classifieds for that. :D
  13. SUroot

Yeah I would have liked a larger screen laptop, but I got a reconditioned latitude so I had to get what I got (E6410) which is awesome by the way :)

I wanted to sell my S3 for a note 2, but in the end the cost bump just wasn't worth it.

I guess it will be the Note 4 by the time I'm due to upgrade so we'll see.
  14. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Developer

SGS3 for now. May look into that rumored Moto "X" device and an SGS4.
  15. Liamo_210

Liamo_210 Well-Known Member

Nexus 4 and s3 everywhere every day. And tablet on long trips or if I now I'll have an lot of time spare. :rolleyes:
  16. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Well-Known Member

Take two phones into the shower - sorry, office?

I take my N4 everywhere. Don't have a tablet as I've never really felt the need. I do, very occassionally, move my 17" lappie from the study desk .. to the kitchen or the sofa. Hardly ever take it out of the house.
  17. shelliewnj

Frisco, if you had caught me a month ago... But that's what I have minus the nova. I seem to be launcher deficient :p
  18. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

I got my son a Nexus 7 for Xmas and while it was fun to play with while I was setting it up for him, I don't feel like I need one for myself. My LTEVO does anything and more than the N7 can do. I never use it now that he has it.
  19. Mehta23

Mehta23 Guides Guide

My Desire HD follows me everywhere. I wouldn't mind a tablet, but i think a 7 inch N7 would be better for me to carry around. In fact, I'd prefer a 10 inch Tablet for home/school use
  20. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Well-Known Member Contributor

My ZTE Merit is my rugged device i use as a phone/MP3 player at work and on the go. for tablets i use a rooted/ROM'd Kindle Fire (w/ Jelly Bean) for general tablet use, but for a laptop replacement my iPad comes along for more intensive things, or for apps/games not yet available on Android (Sky Gamblers series comes to mind)

out of three of the el-cheapo tablets only one lives. the Emerson 4.3 w/ ICS (it survived a fall to concrete, a drop that made the buttons and back pop off) actually makes a much better Kindle reader than my Fire. the screen is matte, dimmer, and easier to look at for a bit longer. it's no Retina but for books who cares
  21. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

I usually just take my Android phone when I go out for the day, tablet stays at home. Usually I use the my tablet for watching movies in bed, showing my one-to-one students English materials, and for some armchair surfing.

At the moment I'm away from home for a few weeks and staying with friends because of the New Year. I left the tablet at the house, and brought my phone and laptop.
  22. shelliewnj

see, now I'm going away for a week next week and thought to bring the tablet and not the laptop to make it easier...
  23. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

TBH my tablet is pretty well summed up in a forum sticky...
    http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/631594-off-brand-phones-tablets-worth-low-cost.html

See the part about "Shoddy Hardware" :D But it's OK for what I bought it for. Plus my laptop is only 10 inch, so is barely larger than an Apple iPad when its bag anyway. I need to do some work which requires a proper office productivity suite, so that effectively rules out Android for the moment.

Also where I'm staying there's no fixed internet or WiFi. So that means I've either got to tether with my phone, and China Mobile is not exactly the best for data. Or I use a China Telecom 3G USB EV-DO modem, which is fast and reliable. However that rules out my tablet....see above about "Shoddy Hardware". :rolleyes:
  24. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

I thought a high pixel density screen or "Retina"(Apple's marketing term) was very important for a good e-book reading experience. Especially if you're looking at the screen for a long time, reading e-books.

I seem to remember that was a key feature of Apple's push for "Retina" and their iTunes e-book store on iOS devices and MacBook Pros. Something like "Look at how beautiful e-books are on the iPad, compared to the migraine inducing visible pixels and jagged fonts of our competitors."
  25. 2 Phonez

2 Phonez Well-Known Member

Depending on what trousers I'm wearing and what I'm doing for the day I'll bring my phone and my tablet. The Nexus 7 is good for that, it's very pocketable.