Which droid do I want? I'm sure this question has never been asked before

Last Updated:

1. Soybomb

Soybomb Member This Topic's Starter

Okay it may have been asked once or twice but I'm doing it again. I'm ready to buy my first smartphone since the kyocera 6035 I had (after about 2 weeks I knocked it out of its holster and the screen shattered) and I could use some advice.

First, I'm on the verizon network and staying there. Specifically I'm a pageplus customer and use few minutes a month since there is no coverage from any provider at my home. Most of my voice calls are through voip at home. I text my friends primarilly by email and would like to make that easier to do while at home. While I'm out and about I'd like to be able to check websites once in a while and more browsing at home on wifi.

My plan is to get a droid and set it to wifi only and use it to continue checking my email at home and potentially with a sip client for voip calls while at home or other places with wifi. When I'm out and need to check a website for information I'll turn on data and happily pay the charges.

I'm just not sure what phone I want to get. I believe I have it narrowed down to the eris or the moto droid. The eris is appealing for its lack of a physical keyboard (only because I hear the original droids sucks), and lower price. The droid's resolution seems like a tremendous benefit for web browsing and its increased battery life doesn't hurt. Either way I will be rooting the device for best performance. The droid sounds more future proof as well but some of that benefit may be lost to the overclocked eris.

So now my question is, which do I get? The droid is anywhere from 50-100% more expensive used than the eris and is heavier. Is the droid really that much better to make it worth it?

Advertisement