• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which Ext HDD

Yesevil

Android Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2012
Preston, Lancs, UK
Hi all ,

I'm looking for a new ext hdd due to my WD My Passport drive dying after very little use.

I would get another WD but I'm concerned about anotherd drive failing as it will be used for photos of my kids (which are irreplaceable).

I've looked at Samsung and Seagate, but I'm still undecided.

Any suggestions/feedback would be appreciated.

Seagate or Samsung, don't really think there's so much difference between them, not for external USB HDDs. And Seagate bought Samsung's HDD division in 2011, so a Samsung branded USB drive is likely one and the same as a Seagate anyway.

However I do think of something very important, especially for irreplaceable photos, is not to just rely on a single storage media. but keep two copies of them, preferably on different media and in kept in different places, possibly one on the USB HDD and other in the cloud, i.e. you have on-site and off-site backup, just in case the worst happens, like you lose the HDD.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones