Which Facebook app for Desire?

Last Updated:

1. bus_ter

bus_ter Member This Topic's Starter

I'm a little confused about which FB app to use on the desire.

The Desire comes with an FB app (a special HTC sense version supposedly?), but I can't get it to show a version number. If I goto the market place there is another FB app available to download. Is this a newer/better version?

I've also read somewhere about a special Nexus One FB app.. is this something we can use?

Advertisement
  2. bus_ter

I've just noticed in the 'manage applications' settings that Facebook is listed twice. Both as a normal version (though the marketplace says its not installed) and a special HTC 'sense' version. When I start facebook I don't know which version of these I'm running as the actual app doesn't seem to show version info from within the program.

3. jred7469

jred7469 Well-Known Member

I found this out too - as confused as you are! anybody who can shed any light on this?

4. bus_ter

Okay, after much playing about I think I've worked it all out..

The app listed as 'Facebook HTC sense' is not the regular facebook app. Instead it's the extra Facebook functionality that HTC have built in on top of the Android operating system. Such as showing Facebook updates direct from the contact list (not a standard Android feature).

The app listed as just Facebook is the 'normal' Facebook for Android, and is what you get when you select the Facebook icon from the menu. This is actually a fairly old version of 'Facebook for Android' so I suggest you get on the Marketplace and update to the current version. When you install Facebook from the marketplace it will detect you already have it installed and ask you to replace the current version (you don't lose any settings).

From now onwards the marketplace will register that you have Facebook installed and will alert you of any future updates.

All makes sense? :D

UPDATE: This page describes what Facebook HTC Sense adds to the Andrioid OS: http://www.htc.com/europe/howto.aspx?id=117&type=1&p_id=313

geemacd, EnochRoot and lekky like this.
  5. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Good answer :)

6. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Thanks for that. I had no idea!

7. nivin

nivin Member

hi..i'm having a little trouble syncing my FB contacts with the ones on my contacts list. The changes such as profile pics etc do not synced with the contact list. Is it because both the FB for Sense and the FB app are running on the phone? I have an HTC Desire running 2.2..any ideas? I tried to add both the accounts to the sync list..but the FB app does not seem to respond, only the FB for Sense can be selected to sync. thanks!

8. EddyOS

EddyOS Well-Known Member

FB for HTC Sense is the app that sync with contacts on your phone. FB for Android is just the normal app

9. Bang Bang Boom

Bang Bang Boom Well-Known Member

also isn't HTC sence to do with the friend stream app?

post from it then go on normal fbook and it sence posted from HTC sence... u know the little erection marker that iPhone users get?

10. jammychap

jammychap Well-Known Member

Personally I just use facebook touch, i.e. goto the wap version of facebook, works fine ;)

11. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

OK, here's how to sync your phone contacts with facebook contacts. But first a WARNING! If you have a lot of Facebook friends for playing games, say 100 -1000+, then syncing them to your phone Contacts WILL FILL A LARGE AMOUNT OF INTERNAL PHONE STORAGE. Sorry if this sounds a little harsh, it's just that myself and other regular forum members give advice to people every few days who have synced with Facebook and want the madness to stop ;)

There's the Facebook app(s), and there's the Facebook Online Directory. Two different things and you need to sign into both separately.

The Facebook app (such as facebook for HTC Sense) is the app on your app list, and only syncs fairly basic info such as messages, wall posts, group posts, etc.

The Facebook Online Directory is what you use to sync phone contacts to their Facebook profiles. It adds Facebook data to your phone contacts (profile pics, email, phone numbers, etc) and can also add Facebook friends to your contacts even if they're not in your phone already.

The Online Directory is found here: Apps > People > then select the 'world' icon at the bottom of the screen > facebook. Sign in to Facebook.

Not sure what happens after that because I only did it once and my 1300 facebook gaming friends filled all my internat storage with over 60mb of profile data which crashed my phone and resulted in a system reset. I think you go back to the People app again, select the contacts list using the left side icon at the bottom, then Menu > View > tick the Facebook box > Done.

If I remember correctly, your phone will start downloading Facebook friends data as soon as you sign in to the Online Directory. Ticking the Facebook box above means that facebook friends will appear in your phone contacts list (untick it to show only phone contacts), though the data for your Facebook Friends will remain on your phone even if you untick.

If things go wrong and the internal storage fills up too much, you go to Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > All Applications > look for Contacts Storage, open it and 'Delete Data'. Doing this will sign you out of the Online Directory and delete ALL contacts information. This includes the contacts already in your phone, so make sure you have your contacts list backed up on your SD card or synced with a Googlemail account before you do anything.