Which factory reset do I use? Root or menu?

Last Updated:

1. red97xj

red97xj Well-Known Member

I tried searching. I am sure its out there, couldnt find it.

I have a HTC inc orig.

I am rooted. I forget what method I used to even do it its been so long. I only rooted to get hotspot, Which I no longer need. I dont have a custom rom... just regular old htc sense 2.2. I want to make the phone like new with none of my data on it so my son can use it.

I see when I push down on power volume and power at same time there is a factory reset option. I also see one under settings in the phone using regular sense.

I don't know if you need the following???
    I have 2.2
    kernel 2.6.32.17-XXXXXXXX
    Software 3.26.xxxxx

Will I be able to do the ota update after we reset it? i never did it cause I rooted it.

thanks a bunch!

Advertisement
  2. zimlokks

zimlokks Well-Known Member

yu wont be able to im think anyways do have s-off status? y nt update it via cmw or run the ruu? just saying using that factory reset method will work if u have stock recovery installed and if u dont it will boot into recovery nd do it there
  3. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Well-Known Member

Choose the recovery option in hboot and you will find a factory reset option there( power button to select). Press the trackball to select it ( when in recovery).
  4. wonderbread

wonderbread Well-Known Member

Will factory reset format the device? My inc has been running terribly slow and I just want to format the thing to give it a chance. I figure maybe fragmentation on the SSD, something like not having TRIM support or something can still lead the ssd to go slow after some time.
  5. sdrawkcab25

Its flash memory, there is no fragmentation. But doing a factory reset will help clean up unused files. It is also worth it to stick the SD card into a PC and format it to FAT32 (don't use a quick format option).
    You never want to format the phones internal memory(quick way to a brick).
  6. wonderbread

wonderbread Well-Known Member

Well isn't just the same as the old SSD drives when if it didn't have trim it would get slow? If not, I really wonder why it has slowed down so much. Even receiving a text takes ages. I have a task manager that shows CPU usage and the device looks idle, so not some terrible processes taking up a bunch of resources, it's just dog slow.
  7. sdrawkcab25

There is no moving parts in either, the reason defragging a normal hard drive helps is because it limits the distance the arm has to move to read a file. No moving parts = no reason to defragment.

http://helpdeskgeek.com/featured-posts/should-you-defrag-an-ssd/

But again you would NEVER want to do that to a phones internal memory anyway, it will completely mess up the partition table.

But flash memory can just become cluttered with corrupt files, causing it to operate slowly. So a factory reset will clear out the junk, so the OS isn't tripping over itself to access DB files. But a lot of times the only thing that is causing a slow down is either just a few bad apps on the phone or a corrupted sd card, which a full format will fix most of the time.

As a last resort you can also reload the OS from scratch, using an RUU (rom update utility or PB31IMG.zip file)
    wonderbread likes this.