• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Which Froyo ROM to choose?

Sombionix mentioned that Obsidian v6 should be out soon, I expect within the next day or two. Basically skipping an official v5 and going to v6.

I tried Axura and liked it; it's very visually appealing. I found Onyx/Obsidian to run a bit more smoothly on my Vibrant however and went back to it.

I think in the end it's more a matter of preference than anything. As far as Axura being "better," to me that's very subjective. Both Axura and Obsidian are excellent ROM's.

i see yeah i haven't tried the axura yet but some people in the xda developers forum saying axura is LITTLE bit better i'm just used to using team whiskey's roms... but if they do release the v6 i'm definitely going with them then (hopefully with ULF kernel????)

Upvote 0
i see yeah i haven't tried the axura yet but some people in the xda developers forum saying axura is LITTLE bit better i'm just used to using team whiskey's roms... but if they do release the v6 i'm definitely going with them then (hopefully with ULF kernel????)

The ULF kernel would be nice to see again, but I've not heard a word about it since it was pulled from TW's download page.

I haven't been too torqued about that though. I've been using Voodoo for quite a while now and will likely continue to use it as I've had excellent success with it. It may not be technically the best solution, especially with the advent of the ULF, but I'm happy with it.

Upvote 0
The ULF kernel would be nice to see again, but I've not heard a word about it since it was pulled from TW's download page.

I haven't been too torqued about that though. I've been using Voodoo for quite a while now and will likely continue to use it as I've had excellent success with it. It may not be technically the best solution, especially with the advent of the ULF, but I'm happy with it.

i hope this new rom comes out soon!!! can't wait to flash it

Upvote 0

hey how's the obisidian v5.0 beta??

Upvote 0
hey how's the obisidian v5.0 beta??

I've been using the Beta5 since it was released. I don't think it was ever on the Team Whiskey downloads page, or if it was it wasn't for long.

There are some problems, most notably with MMS and using headphones for calls, but those appear to more be problems with the source ROM (leaked, there is no final 2.2 ROM out for the Galaxy S yet) than with the TW rework of it.

I'm very happy with it; it's overall very smooth and functional. I was running Onyx as I have no love for TouchWiz, but there is no Beta5 for that, just Obsidian.

Last word from Sombionix that I saw was yesterday (11-30-10) stating that Obsidian v6 should be out soon. I would be surprised if it wasn't out by the end of the week.

Reactions: cowppl
Upvote 0
u know what guys?? i'm using the official JK6 rom that sombionix posted up not too long ago on xda developers forum and it's working great so far.. try them!! it's pretty cool it comes with t-mobile tv (which i don't intend to use anyway) but it's pretty snappy too!! i was able to install OCLF but i'm going to try to install voodoo on this new OFFICIAL JK6 rom wish me luck!!

Upvote 0
u know what guys?? i'm using the official JK6 rom that sombionix posted up not too long ago on xda developers forum and it's working great so far.. try them!! it's pretty cool it comes with t-mobile tv (which i don't intend to use anyway) but it's pretty snappy too!! i was able to install OCLF but i'm going to try to install voodoo on this new OFFICIAL JK6 rom wish me luck!!

Good luck indeed. We will be awaiting detail progress reports! :)

Upvote 0
Bionix is a custom 2.1 Rom made by Team Whiskey (from here on TWh) - not 2.2. Onyx is Team Whiskey's 2.2 custom ROM. I have not tried (I am waiting for the 2.2 ROMs to fully mature before I go through the hassle of upgrading). I've used all of TWh's 2.1 Roms, they rock! The 2.1 firmwares are fast and stable and I wouldn't expect Onyx or Obsidian (the 2.2 firmwares) to be any different. As you've stated, Onyx has Launcher Pro and Obsidian has TW Launcher, depends of your taste. I would recommend anything TWh makes.

I have not tried Macnut but I've checked out this youtube review http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMzg10d5KBE, it seems like a good ROM. It has a lot of animations and the theme is defenitly more aesthetic then Bionix (I don't know what the esthetics of Onyx are like).

I keep seeing blue highlights in all these though roms and I f#$$%% hate blue. I can't tell you how much I hate blue. So, I'm probably going to design a metamorph theme that will be giving a facelift to Onyx with red and gold highlights once I upgrade my ROM.

Hey all,

Given the success that most people are having using custom ROM's on their vibrant, I'd like to do so as well. I don't really see a benefit of waiting for and using T-Mobile's version if the current custom one's work just fine (and since I really don't care about having TouchWiz or not).

Having said that, which one would you all recommend? I hear great things about Bionix 1.5, Macnut R12, and TeamWhiskey's Onyx R4.2 (no TouchWiz, which I hear is a good thing especially if you have a decent alternative like LauncherPro).

I really don't know the true differences between them all, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
alright guys i am currently using the Official STOCK JK2 rom V2 and let me tell u something... it's AWESOME!!! plus if u like the original UI (like myself) u will love it even more it's VERY SNAPPY w/o any lagfix (i currently have OCLF installed and i don't think u need it to be honest) i was using w/o lagfix for awhile and i think it works better for some reason w/o any lagfix i tried voodoo lagfix first but for some reason it was laggy (strange huh?) then i tried the ext2 (OCLF) and i think it's better than voodoo (i know quadrant score doesn't mean much but it was 1971 voodoo was 1517 no lagfix 981) but i think u don't really have to install lagfix but if ur planning to with my trial & error ext 2 OCLF seems bit snappier than voodoo ext4

i'll keep u guys posted (i'm debating if i should stick with this or the new axura 2.0.6)

Upvote 0
alright guys i am currently using the Official STOCK JK2 rom V2 and let me tell u something... it's AWESOME!!! plus if u like the original UI (like myself) u will love it even more it's VERY SNAPPY w/o any lagfix (i currently have OCLF installed and i don't think u need it to be honest) i was using w/o lagfix for awhile and i think it works better for some reason w/o any lagfix i tried voodoo lagfix first but for some reason it was laggy (strange huh?) then i tried the ext2 (OCLF) and i think it's better than voodoo (i know quadrant score doesn't mean much but it was 1971 voodoo was 1517 no lagfix 981) but i think u don't really have to install lagfix but if ur planning to with my trial & error ext 2 OCLF seems bit snappier than voodoo ext4

i'll keep u guys posted (i'm debating if i should stick with this or the new axura 2.0.6)

I installed the JK6 ROM not too long ago...the one Sombionix tweaked ever so slightly. So far it's great! I'll take a look at the GPS at lunchtime. If the ROM is this to from the get go I can't wait till Team Whiskey starts modding it. And they're already started. :)

As for a lagifx...I'm hooked on Voodoo. Using it with the JK6 and so far so good.

Upvote 0
I installed the JK6 ROM not too long ago...the one Sombionix tweaked ever so slightly. So far it's great! I'll take a look at the GPS at lunchtime. If the ROM is this to from the get go I can't wait till Team Whiskey starts modding it. And they're already started. :)

As for a lagifx...I'm hooked on Voodoo. Using it with the JK6 and so far so good.

LOL i see ur posts there too!! but i don't know if u saw my reply to urs about "The Parameter is incorrect" just install the sdcardfix zip file that he posted in a different thread and it works!!! i tested mine and it works great!!! :D

Upvote 0
Ok so I was running Axura, and although it was a beautiful ROM, I did have a few slight issues with my data connection.

Also, I know I may be in the minority here, but I just love the look and feel of Samsungs stock user interface, Touchwiz.

So Sombionix(a developer who posts on xda-forums and has a website at Team Whiskey) was nice enough to upload the most current leaked Samsung/T-Mo Froyo 2.2, based on JK6!

I got rid of Axura. Used Odin to go completely back to stock 2.1 JFD first. Then, I used ROM manager and clockwork-manager to flash Froyo 2.2 JK6.

I LOVE IT! It has that touchwiz feel that I love, with some updates. Also the JK6 baseband modem/radio is PERFECT so far. Admittedly, I've only been running it for about 2 hours, but my 3G bars are stronger than ever, and no dropped data connection yet!

Sombionix made a few changes, he removed the official T-Mobile Animation. I know I'm in the minority here again, but I actually like the stock Galaxy S rainbow thingy.

Anyways you can download it here:
Flashable Stock JK6 - Froyo 2.2 - *12/01/10* - xda-developers

team whiskeys site, just for reference is
Team Whiskey

PS... I think the total stock version may be also available from samfirware.com, meaning no changes done to it at all, stock boot animation and all.

Upvote 0
I have to say........i have looked at the Vibrant Bible in XDA and i dont get how to use Odin. There is a visual link but just shows what you need, no link how to get them. I have Odin on my desktop but it is empty and i dont have any idea idea how to use it.

Umm do some more research since I'm not an expert, but the basics are below, and I'm not responsible if your phone bricks. LOL, don't know why everyone puts that disclaimer, has someone sued another former member or something? Anyways ya, do at your own risk.

check out this:
http://androidforums.com/vibrant-tips-tricks/223806-guide-fixing-bricks-odin-errors.html

and check out this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGMDycXJ2i0

If you want to a 5 yr old to teach you ODIN and you understand what the heck he is saying, then watch this. (just found it, and can't stop laughing...I don't know why but I think it's funny) Most of us grown folks don't know how to use odin and this little kid does.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOC7psum2_Y

The first link I provided, you can download everything from there, but here is a newer version of odin I'm uploading on sendspace for you. I put up the pit file also so you don't have to extract it. All you have to do is download the tar (too large for me to upload) from the first link.

It is safe to go from 2.2 directly to stock JFD using ODIN, if you have never messed with partitions or applied any lagfix. Otherwise, if you have screwed with partitions or applied lagfix, I believe you need to first install "eugenes froyo that doesn't brick" which will fix your partitions, then you can ODIN back to stock JFD (the version that shipped in the box).

Steps.
1) Download odin, JFD tar, and JFD pit.
2) Open odin first. (phone not connected to computer yet).
3) Turn phone off
4) Hold down vol up and vol down at same time (dont touch power)
5) while holding down volume buttons, plug in USB cord into phone (connected to your computer on the other end)
6) your phone will go into download mode (yellow triangle with android man holding a shovel)
7) assuming you have proper drivers pre-installed or (samsung kies installed which provides the drivers); in this case Odin will recognize your phone
8) in odin, a yellow box will appear with a "com" followed by any number.
9)in the pit section, inside odin, click on pit, and find the pit file wherever you saved it on your computer.
10)PDA section, click it, and put the tar file there.
11) leave csc alone.
12)auto reboot and f.set.time will have check marks
13)re-partition leave unchecked.
14) press start

Give it a few mins, and it will be done and your phone will reboot, and you can remove the usb cord only after it successively finishes. You're phone will now be in brand spanking new stock JFD condition. Next, you can put any new rom on it you like, or if you want JI6 back, just use kies mini, to update the firmware to JI6.

Below are the sendspace pit and odin files I uploaded, but get the JFD tar from the first link.

pit: (already extracted for you)
Download s1_odin_20100512.pit from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

odin3 v1.70:
Download Odin3 v1.7.exe from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

tar:
use the 1st link above to download the JFD tar.

Remember it is safe to go from 2.2 to stock 2.1 using Odin and the process above, as long as you have never screwed with partitions or applied lagfix or voodoo or whatever, in that case, you need to use "eugenes froyo that doesn't brick" first, then ODIN.

Upvote 0

I also installed this same ROM late last night and so far so good. I went back to 2.1 via Odin from Axura 2.05 and now to this new leaked version using ROM Manager. I like the lack of bloatware, though there are probably still a couple of apps I'd like to see removed (audio postcard, etc), but you can remove them easily enough with Titanium Backup.

Upvote 0

I too installed JK6 and all working perfect for last 2 days :)

Upvote 0
Umm do some more research since I'm not an expert, but the basics are below, and I'm not responsible if your phone bricks. LOL, don't know why everyone puts that disclaimer, has someone sued another former member or something? Anyways ya, do at your own risk.

check out this:
http://androidforums.com/vibrant-tips-tricks/223806-guide-fixing-bricks-odin-errors.html

and check out this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGMDycXJ2i0

If you want to a 5 yr old to teach you ODIN and you understand what the heck he is saying, then watch this. (just found it, and can't stop laughing...I don't know why but I think it's funny) Most of us grown folks don't know how to use odin and this little kid does.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOC7psum2_Y

The first link I provided, you can download everything from there, but here is a newer version of odin I'm uploading on sendspace for you. I put up the pit file also so you don't have to extract it. All you have to do is download the tar (too large for me to upload) from the first link.

It is safe to go from 2.2 directly to stock JFD using ODIN, if you have never messed with partitions or applied any lagfix. Otherwise, if you have screwed with partitions or applied lagfix, I believe you need to first install "eugenes froyo that doesn't brick" which will fix your partitions, then you can ODIN back to stock JFD (the version that shipped in the box).

Steps.
1) Download odin, JFD tar, and JFD pit.
2) Open odin first. (phone not connected to computer yet).
3) Turn phone off
4) Hold down vol up and vol down at same time (dont touch power)
5) while holding down volume buttons, plug in USB cord into phone (connected to your computer on the other end)
6) your phone will go into download mode (yellow triangle with android man holding a shovel)
7) assuming you have proper drivers pre-installed or (samsung kies installed which provides the drivers); in this case Odin will recognize your phone
8) in odin, a yellow box will appear with a "com" followed by any number.
9)in the pit section, inside odin, click on pit, and find the pit file wherever you saved it on your computer.
10)PDA section, click it, and put the tar file there.
11) leave csc alone.
12)auto reboot and f.set.time will have check marks
13)re-partition leave unchecked.
14) press start

Give it a few mins, and it will be done and your phone will reboot, and you can remove the usb cord only after it successively finishes. You're phone will now be in brand spanking new stock JFD condition. Next, you can put any new rom on it you like, or if you want JI6 back, just use kies mini, to update the firmware to JI6.

Below are the sendspace pit and odin files I uploaded, but get the JFD tar from the first link.

pit: (already extracted for you)
Download s1_odin_20100512.pit from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

odin3 v1.70:
Download Odin3 v1.7.exe from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

tar:
use the 1st link above to download the JFD tar.

Remember it is safe to go from 2.2 to stock 2.1 using Odin and the process above, as long as you have never screwed with partitions or applied lagfix or voodoo or whatever, in that case, you need to use "eugenes froyo that doesn't brick" first, then ODIN.

Great info , thanks!. Much better than provided in the Vibrant Bible which was imo , no info at all. Oh and i dont have to remove SIM card and Micro SD as suggested in earlier versions of Odin?

Upvote 0
Great info , thanks!. Much better than provided in the Vibrant Bible which was imo , no info at all. Oh and i dont have to remove SIM card and Micro SD as suggested in earlier versions of Odin?

I don't think so, no. Actually, I left my sim card and external sd in. After odin, my data, such as my pictures and personal files, were still on the internal sd! Avatar was still on the external sd.

So I think it is safe to leave those alone. Your pictures, music, and videos will probably still be on your internal sd too.

Upvote 0
I don't think so, no. Actually, I left my sim card and external sd in. After odin, my data, such as my pictures and personal files, were still on the internal sd! Avatar was still on the external sd.

So I think it is safe to leave those alone. Your pictures, music, and videos will probably still be on your internal sd too.

LOL, i cant understand that kid.

Is the JFD tar file above the stock 2.1? If not ill need to get that to just in case i need it or want to try another ROM.
I did get all my notification sounds back and i can play music again so all is good except.......my battery life isnt real good at all. Been seeing a lot of guys saying their battery life is great but of course im not getting that. Ill have to go see what they did to make that happen.

Upvote 0
LOL, i cant understand that kid.

Is the JFD tar file above the stock 2.1? If not ill need to get that to just in case i need it or want to try another ROM.
I did get all my notification sounds back and i can play music again so all is good except.......my battery life isnt real good at all. Been seeing a lot of guys saying their battery life is great but of course im not getting that. Ill have to go see what they did to make that happen.

Stock for me anyway was JFD, that's how my phone shipped.

Upvote 0
Here is the change log for Axura 2.1. The ROM is working very well for me. No issues.

Axura VE 2.1:

New Wallpaper
New Battery Icon
Added Slacker Radio
Added Chrome-To-Phone
Updated Zeam Launcher
Updated ADW Launcher
Updated Titanium-Backup
updated nfo
Included CWM Update.zip
Changed nfo Location
GPS Icon Changed
Switched 3g to H icon
Customized Devs4Android BootAnim
Customized Devs4Android ShutdownAnim
Includes Facebook (Can be uninstalled)
Includes Twitter (Can be uninstalled)
New Email app (Works 100%)
VoiceMail Notifications
Stock Dialer Look (On Request) - (For Now)
GPS Fix for those having problems
JK6 Modem
JK6 Vold
GPS Icon Fix
Fixed MMS
New green glow when on call (Not ugly anymore)
Grey Market
Samsung Vibrant
Rom: Axura 2.1
Clock: 1.0 Ghz​

Upvote 0
Here is the change log for Axura 2.1. The ROM is working very well for me. No issues.

Axura VE 2.1:

New Wallpaper
New Battery Icon
Added Slacker Radio
Added Chrome-To-Phone
Updated Zeam Launcher
Updated ADW Launcher
Updated Titanium-Backup
updated nfo
Included CWM Update.zip
Changed nfo Location
GPS Icon Changed
Switched 3g to H icon
Customized Devs4Android BootAnim
Customized Devs4Android ShutdownAnim
Includes Facebook (Can be uninstalled)
Includes Twitter (Can be uninstalled)
New Email app (Works 100%)
VoiceMail Notifications
Stock Dialer Look (On Request) - (For Now)
GPS Fix for those having problems
JK6 Modem
JK6 Vold
GPS Icon Fix
Fixed MMS
New green glow when on call (Not ugly anymore)
Grey Market
Samsung Vibrant
Rom: Axura 2.1
Clock: 1.0 Ghz​

It's almost getting out of hand, what with all these ROM's to try out now. I just installed sXe v4 and like it very much. I'd be interested in looking at Axura once more, but sheeeesh...I only have one phone!

Upvote 0
I can't get over how in love I am with Jk6. Ok maybe not love, but I mean, the 3G signal is fantastic! Additionally, the standby time is amazing. Prior to Jk6, if I fell asleep without my phone in the charger, I would wake up to a completely dead phone. Now, my standby time is amazing for this phone.

Now there is another new one called BlackHole. I want to try that too. Looks really cool how you can install it from ROM manager and choose what you want in it from there as well. Seems real simple but after reading the thread at XDA, it dos have some bugs and he is hoping to get it all fixed by Saturday.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones