Which is better: IMAP or Exchange for mail?Support

Last Updated:

1. wonderbread

wonderbread Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have the option if I want to convert my main mail account to an Exchange account or keep it as an IMAP account. So far I have the phone setup with my IMAP and it's pretty decent, messages appear as unread if I've read them on another computer, I can switch to different folders I've setup, etc. The only thing is that it checks mail every 15 minutes (i could change it to 10 but the polling technique is still used). Is Exchange ActiveSync any better in Android or is it buggy? I'll switch if the push email really is instant and non buggy.

Please let me know your experiences.

thanks

Advertisement
  2. Mike_B

Mike_B Well-Known Member

You do NOT want Exchange access... It's very buggy and does not forward emails/attachments correctly. IMAP is better until Google fixes Android Exchange Activesync.

3. jskolm85

jskolm85 Active Member

I have my mail set up as Exchange and I don't have any issues. I receive my mail immediately pushed to my device. My Calendar Syncs perfectly. So I don't know what the issues are supposed to be, but I think it works great.

4. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Activesync works great, not buggy at all. Give it a try, you can always get Imap if you want.

5. Rubik76

Rubik76 Well-Known Member

I'm loving Exchange, personally. The push is instant - there are times I get mail on my phone before getting it on my networked PC.

6. Mike_B

Mike_B Well-Known Member

Apparently you guys haven't tried to forward an email?

The original message is attached as an EML file -- not inline with the email body!
    Any attachments in the original message are NOT attached to the new forwarded message.

How's that for buggy?

I found this out the hard way after forwarding an email with a WAV attachment. All the recipient got was my body text of "Can you help with the voicemail message?" I promptly got a phone call from the recipient asking what I was talking about.

7. Rubik76

Rubik76 Well-Known Member

Nope. Forwarded emails send perfectly with the original text appearing in-line and all attachments in-place. Exchange 2007.

8. Mike_B

Mike_B Well-Known Member

Hmm...Exchange 2003 here. I wonder...time to push the 2010 upgrade issue.

9. pirate943

pirate943 Well-Known Member

ya, i haven't had any problems with my exchange account....ive used it with BB and WM and i have to say the DI have the fastest push times. couldnt be happier. BTW i havent tried to forward any thing (i dont typically forward many messages) and since the phone is new there arent really any files that i want to attach...but sending and receiving is awesome so far.

10. itsTee

itsTee Well-Known Member

i have my gmail setup in Exchange..no issues over here. I get my emails pushed right away to my phone, downloads attachments correctly and everything..

11. bogatyr

bogatyr Member

I use Exchange with my:

Droid Eris,
    Motorola Backflip,
    Droid Incredible

Works great on all three. Email forwarding works properly (inline). I also use Exchange 2007 (Sherweb hosting).

12. cdodge

cdodge Well-Known Member

If i have my work exchange account setup can i still setup my gmail to use EAS?

13. Squintz82

Squintz82 Well-Known Member

No exchange problems here. Forwarded emails and attachments work fine.

14. Mike_B

Mike_B Well-Known Member

For everyone with no forwarding issues, which version of Exchange/Windows Server are you running? I'm hoping my problem is related to Exchange 2003/Win2k3r2. We'll see tomorrow when I move my account to our Exchange 2010/Win2008r2 server. God I hope this works.

15. jskolm85

jskolm85 Active Member

I am running Exchange 2003 SP2 on Win2003 server and I am not having any issues with my Exchange setup.

16. gobluejd

gobluejd GOBLUE! VIP Member

:confused:

This (HTC Active Sync) is working better than my Blackberry on BES.

:rolleyes:

17. gobluejd

gobluejd GOBLUE! VIP Member

Forwarding is working fine on mine. Not buggy at all. Working better than I imagined. I love how I can access ANY email anywhere in my outlook.

18. jskolm85

jskolm85 Active Member

Mike, let me know how that goes for you. I am doing this exact same thing Next Quarter for my company.

19. jskolm85

jskolm85 Active Member

I just tried this and I am having this issue. I wonder if it's an Exchange 2003 issue. I also wasn't getting HTML emails with the ActiveSync setup. I switched over the IMAP and now everything is working for me.

20. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

EAS is dependent on your admin as is imap. Nothng to do with android, iphone or BB on the whole.

21. jskolm85

jskolm85 Active Member

I am the admin. All setting are enable for rich text messages. So what am I doing wrong then?

22. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

E2k3 is the issue. EAS is incredible on 2k7 and above. Although you should be able to do it, it's a bitch.

23. COSkier

COSkier New Member

So, I have Gmail and I set up my Gmail in exchange - Now I get e-mail notifications in both black and white...... how do I stop this? What's the best method? Use the Gmail APP or the Exchange app if I only use gmail?

24. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Gmail has nothing to do with this.

25. wonderbread

wonderbread Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

<-- OP

Good feedback! I decided to switched to Exchange for good earlier today when I saw an email pop up on my phone before my PC. I like the 7 day window for keeping mail on the device too. I also prefer Exchange options for folder filter rules.