Which is faster for tethering: wifi or bluetooth?

Last Updated:

1. thesloth

thesloth Member This Topic's Starter

Mar 15, 2010

just curious, i have just started using android tethering and have the option of using wifi or bluetooth. which is faster? my phone is sitting basically on my laptop and charging so battery life is not a problem. it is even plugged in. is there anyway to tether via USB?

I have a telus milestone, pps. keep it like a secret,

2. uzetaab

uzetaab Well-Known Member

May 11, 2010
    I'm not am expert on tethering because I don't really need it, but I can tether my HTC Desire running 2.2 over usb, it works very well actually.

I have also done it over wifi & that seems to work equally well.

I don't know if my phone can even tether over bluetooth, but I wouldn't bother with it if I have the option of wifi. Maximum potential data over bluetooth 2.0 is only 3mbps. Note the words "maximum potential". With wifi G you have 54mbps which will be well above your connection's speed, so go wifi. Plus, while on wifi, you can share the connection.

If you don't have USB tethering as an option, then you probably have to root your phone or something.
  3. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2010
    You are far more likely to have your bottleneck be the data speeds of your mobile network than anything else. That said, bluetooth is going to be significantly slower than wifi. Theoretical speeds of 802.11a (the oldest standard) is about on par with bluetooth 1.2(the oldest standard). Comparing 802.11N to bluetooth 3.0 (which I am not sure is even available to the masses yet) you will see 802.11N reaching theoretical speeds many times faster than the bluetooth (600mbit versus 24mbit)
  4. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010

wifi should be fastest.
    why dont you download an app to test speeds. try it with both wifi and bluetooth. then try with usb too.

then post your findings here.
    I will analyze it and tell you which is faster for you.
    :p :D ;)