• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which is the best extended battery?

Aidan Bell

Oct 20, 2010
I want to get a 5000mAh extended battery and back cover.

But ... Seidio or Mugen?

Does anyone know if any company will release (or have released) a battery with NFC?

I love the idea of the kickstand on the Mugen, but I don't want that to be the deciding factor.

Thoughts, tips, comments, ideas ...?

At that ridiculously low price (which causes major alarm bells on its own), plus the fact that it comes from a no-name manufacturer and that it's called a "Business" battery (what does that mean?), I personally wouldn't touch it with a barge pole and afraid.

I have a Mugen 5400 extended batter arriving in the morning :D

Upvote 0
I used a Hyperion 5000mAh battery for about a month but eventually gave it up over better protective case options when using the stock battery. As far as battery life, it was absolutely fantastic! I would say that it clearly was a doubling of the OEM battery life (which actually makes sense --mathematically). I may look into a higher-capacity battery in the stock size in the near future but I did just purchase an external 18,000mAh battery that may just do the job for me...

Upvote 0
So many extended battery on Amazon and Ebay, i wonder if there is any real difference apart from the names.

I think there is a real difference, that being that some batteries are good quality and do a good job, while others (many others) are cheap and awful. As with so many things, I think it's very true to say with batteries that you get what you pay for.

As for Ilordvader's request for usage results: I got my Mugen 5400 last week and I'm still doing the recommended thing of running it completely flat and recharging three times before putting it into normal use. The first discharge took three days, the second two and a half. I'm currently into day two of the third discharge and this morning the battery is at 63%. I would call my use of the Note average, I'm not a power user, but nevertheless I'm very impressed and would recommend the Mugen.
I'm also one of those people who doesn't like how thin the Note is and I actually enjoy the extra bulk the extended battery gives the phone.

Upvote 0
I think there is a real difference, that being that some batteries are good quality and do a good job, while others (many others) are cheap and awful. As with so many things, I think it's very true to say with batteries that you get what you pay for.

As for Ilordvader's request for usage results: I got my Mugen 5400 last week and I'm still doing the recommended thing of running it completely flat and recharging three times before putting it into normal use. The first discharge took three days, the second two and a half. I'm currently into day two of the third discharge and this morning the battery is at 63%. I would call my use of the Note average, I'm not a power user, but nevertheless I'm very impressed and would recommend the Mugen.
I'm also one of those people who doesn't like how thin the Note is and I actually enjoy the extra bulk the extended battery gives the phone.

Thank you so much

Upvote 0
I would be interested in the extended battery but wouldn't like to be without a case. Are there any cases which would fit a Note with an extended battery?

Try this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Swirl-Black-Leather-Carry-Streak/dp/B004MICZEK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Until I got my Note I had a Dell Streak, and I must have got through two or three of these cases by now (that's not to say that it's not a very good case, just that I use it daily). I'm now using the very same case for my Note with the extended battery. Yes, it's a slightly tight squeeze, but because the case is made of leather I'm finding that over time it's loosening up and the fit is now fine.

Upvote 0
I found a great extended battery at tmart.com. It lasts about 18 hours, and in fact I have started buying all my doodads from there, I even found a kitchen sink, kid you not, there!!!

Here's the specific battery I purchased, and I love it. I also found an external battery charging dock here as well, I'll try to find the link to post it too.... Shipping is a little slow (overseas) but it's totally worth it with the lower prices...

5200mAh Battery: $9.39
5200mAh Extended Battery with Battery Cover for Samsung I717 GALAXY Note - Tmart.com

External Charging Station: $ 3.81
Battery Charger Adapter for Samsung GT-i9220/Galaxy Note Black - Tmart.com

Upvote 0
As I've said before, I'm absolutely no expert and am only speaking from gut feeling and minimal personal experience, but I wouldn't even put batteries as cheap as those into my phone, I'm afraid. I think you're asking for trouble. I'm also curious about lasting 18 hours. That's not even as long as the standard battery that comes with the Note. After owning the Mugen batterty for going on two weeks now, I would say that under "normal" use it lasts around 70 hours.

Upvote 0
Been using the Mugen 5400mah battery for about a week now, its tremendous. I'm a very heavy user when I'm at work and its been an absolute godsend. Quality product too, the back casing, while obviously adding bulk is well made with teeny bobbly texture for grip. Makes the Note better to hold tbh. Not sold on the kick stand though, I'd rather it wasn't there but that's a minor quibble.

Upvote 0
How about ecell gold 3000 or 3500mAh from Amazon?
as the review on Amazon are quite ok (but im afraid thats fake review).

Moreover how about BXT 3100mAh from ebay.
I know for BXT the price is ridicilous but if im not mistaken thats real battery brand (at least for Alkaline).

For the one using 5000mAh, was wondering how long do you have to charge it either via Note or via docking charger?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones