• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Which is your next smartphone?

Awh Rev, Didn't you see the recent leaked photo on Phandroid? It's so sad...
NOOOOoooooooooooooo!!!
I have been way out of touch for a while. Other than NO FRONT STEREO SPEAKERS(?!), it doesn't look too bad. We'll have to see how the camera performs I suppose.
*grumble grumble*
Maybe I'll go Nexus...

Upvote 0
Well, at this point... I really don't know anymore. I know I need to upgrade from this Note 3, and that's about the one thing I can fully agree on.

What I can't agree on, is what next to get.

Ideally, I would want something with comprehensive bands support for multiple carriers, so I don't have to replace the phone if I replace my carrier. While I am currently happy with T-mobile, years and years of being burned by carrier locked phones and carriers letting their networks fall apart after I'd invested in a fresh phone have me very much un-desiring of carrier-locked phones.

But long have I needed a removable battery. Especially the ability to have an extended replacement battery. I also prefer having external storage in the form of an SD card, because as so many have pointed out, external storage steadily drops in prices.

aaaand, last but certainly not least in importance... I like to tinker. I like to tweak. It pretty much goes without saying that being able to root within 5~10 minutes is a must, as well as supporting Xposed framework.

So...
  • Desiring Xposed pretty much excludes anything and everything from Samsung, since Samsung's edits basically nuked it from ever being on my Note 3 ever again.
  • The G4 (US991) should have fit the bill for what I was looking for, but LG had dropped the bomb where LG does not warranty any unlocked phones. PERIOD.
So, far as I can work out, finding full bands support plus removable battery is a lost cause. Unless LG decides to turn this awful policy around, I have to exclude them too.

So, far as I can work out, this leaves me with only phones that are all overpriced and have NRB's. And only one of them actually has SD storage... the Moto X Pure. And I don't even know where that stands.

Upvote 0
I have a Samsung Note 4..... been having trouble with it the last week or so.... but not due till December or January.....
I am looking at the LG G5

but just had a update for the note hoping it might be the new android but nope..... so I have no idea what got updated.......

The Note4 will probably get The Update next month. I had that 86mb-ish update yesterday. Something with battery life improvement and a little more.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Quite frankly there's nothing currently out there that makes me want to upgrade from Oppo R7 Plus, which I only bought last September anyway.

BUY ME! BUY ME! BUY ME!
IMG20160326130832.jpg

BTW I always like walking around the local neighbourhood, looking at the sights, taking in things....
they-live.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looking at the S7. Upgrade cycle is coming end of April, and looking at offers from my carrier, no change in my monthly bill would come about if I get the S7 under one of their new available structured service plans. I lose certain perks. I am currently on unlimited data, but then again nowadays I use up less than 3GB a month with WiFi at home and at work. Current service plan costs me approx $44 monthly after conversion, consisting of unlimited data (3GB allocation then throttled speed, 300 SMS, then an additional 800 credits for calls and more SMS (1 per SMS, and each min of call costs 7). Getting a new service plan at $44 as well gives me 3GB data (going over means additional payment, about 5 per 15min), unlimited calls and tests to same network, unlimited use of Waze, Facebook Messenger, Viber, and Spotify that won't count against the 3GB data allocation. Seems to me a good deal. Add in another $6.50 and I can get an S7 Edge. Although I'm a bit on the fence on getting the Edge. The larger screen and bigger battery is good, but I feel the Edge might be more fragile than the usual S7, plus the one handed handling would seem more difficult.

Upvote 0
Well, I did luck out. Found another store that did carry the Moto X Pure, picked up a price-matched 32gb model in white. Had to go to T-Mobile store later to get an updated SIM though.

Already one frustrating thing, is that even though I did pick up a qualcomm turbo charge approved external battery for it, the MXP will accept the charge, but ten seconds later turn off the battery. this doesn't happen with any other thing I plug in to it. So I don't know what the f*ck. And according to some stuff my fiancee was able to find out about it, it's a behavior that is only on non-rooted MXP phones, and doesn't happen anymore once rooted.

So, not only rooting for Xposed, but now rooting to literally solve a problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones