15.9%
  4. Launcher Pro

47.6%
  5. Other

4.8%

Last Updated:

1. BY724

BY724 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I know there is a poll in the ADW thread, but that was directed at people who have already tried that. I'm curious because I haven't tried anything else, and I like sense, but I'm curious to see what most people have, and why.

If you don't have sense, why do you like what you're using?

If you have sense after trying other things, what else did you try and why did you go back?

Advertisement
  2. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

When I was on 1.5, I was using normal home for performance reasons. I now have root, and I'm running Sense almost all of the time. One if the ROMs that I run is vanilla Android, and I've tried Launcher Pro on it, and at some point will try ADW. But, to be honest, I'm kind of liking Sense on 2.1 right now.

3. rycheme

rycheme Well-Known Member

I happen to like Sense, probably just because I'm used to it at this point. I've tried a couple of the other home replacement apps, but I love Sense's widgets for Weather, Clock, and People.

4. BY724

Those of you who chose ADW or LauncherPro...why do you prefer that over sense? I'm looking for some convincing.

5. mhrebin

mhrebin Well-Known Member

I want to say a lot of it has to do with the ability to keep it clean and simple (being able to eliminate that bottom bar in sense is a plus) and also memory usage I would imagine is a factor.

6. surgeon0214

surgeon0214 Well-Known Member

More customizable, just as fast, and in my opinion looks a whole lot cooler :cool:
    BTW ADW Launcher is better ;)

7. Kaessa

Kaessa Well-Known Member

I like the speed of LauncherPro over Sense, plus it's nice to have a bottom bar that is actually useful. It just seems much cleaner and faster than Sense. YMMV. :)

8. BY724

Which one are you using?

And how do these launchers affect battery?

I thought I read that it used the same, if not less...but wouldn't sense still be running in the background (and, as such, using some battery)?

9. rxfilr

rxfilr Well-Known Member

I have been using LauncherPro Beta for about 2 weeks now, and I have to say IMO that it at least seems faster and more stable than Sense (on 2.1). That said, I also preferred stock Android Home over Sense as I felt it was also slightly faster. I agree with posters above too, the the ability to configure "task bar" at bottom is very nice, never really used the buttons on Sense.

10. CrazyKnight128

CrazyKnight128 Well-Known Member

I use launcher pro and love it, Its faster better looking and you can customize alot more.

11. hookem

hookem Well-Known Member

It's been said before: Having a "virtual" phone button a half inch from the physical phone button is highly redundant. However it does make sense (no pun intended) on phones that don't have a physical button.

Using LauncherPro - having more customization is reason enough, plus the speed, plus landscape mode, plus 5 rows of icons....

12. incrediblenotinstock

incrediblenotinstock Well-Known Member

how do i find launcher pro i cant find on the market?

13. ttran97

ttran97 Well-Known Member

Market's kinda whack right now for both launchers and a few other apps.

LauncherPro has the apk on there to download.

14. Haxcid

Haxcid Well-Known Member

Im a launcherpro user. I ditched sense and never looked back. I find it to be far more responsive than sense. I click something and it runs instead of sense where I click then wait up to 20 seconds for it to launch. I also don't need 7 screens, 3 do the job for me (im a minimalist). I also like the launchers dock, I prefer having my highly used items on dock. The only change I would make to launcher pro is allowing my dock to be 4x2 instead of just 4x1.

Hercules likes this.
  15. debssx3

debssx3 Active Member

I was using LauncherPro until I found out about ADW. I like them both; very simple and very fast. The only reason I chose ADW over LauncherPro is the 6 extra icons or dockbar, not sure what its called and I like that you can hide it. But other than that, they're both great! :)

16. incrediblenotinstock

incrediblenotinstock Well-Known Member

thank you :) how do you get the file from your comp to your eris?

17. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

Helix FTW

18. ttran97

ttran97 Well-Known Member

19. greyhndz

greyhndz Well-Known Member

I've been playing tonight with both LP2 and ADW.

Not sure why, but the ADW seemed to trip all my cranial circuit-breakers, and after about 15 minutes, I gave it the heave-ho. Can't give a more literate explanation than that..

I've got LP2 now fairly well configured and I'm bouncing back and forth between that and Sense, looking for a difference. I have to read more about the config, tho. I do see that the screens slide from side to side more smoothly. I, too, only use the 3 screens but put up 5 for the helluvit.

I really liked the digital clock with weather widget on the sense, but found an almost identical one in market for LP2, so looking at Sense home and LP2 home is almost the same.

But I had to laugh: when I'm scrolling to another screen, the perspective is so realistic with the wallpaper I have, that I find myself turning the phone over to look for the next screen. :rolleyes:

How can you change the widgets on the bottom platform? (Or is that the drawer?) Do I do this the same way I delete and add-on widgets on-screen?

20. Shnuddy

Shnuddy Well-Known Member

Press, hold and release and the options will pop up.

I've been switching between ADW, Launcher Pro, and Sense. I like them all. I currently using LP. I seem to get a lot of force closes with ADW, which can be annoying. They happen only occasionally with LP, and it reopens quickly.

I like having the bottom platform and I don't have phone there (use the hard button). But I do have Home Switcher there. :)

21. xx_bishop_xx

xx_bishop_xx Well-Known Member

Awwww.....looks like nobody believes in "Home Sweet Home" so far.

22. namu1107

namu1107 Well-Known Member

I was skeptical about LP, but I installed in about 2 weeks ago, and I will probably never go back to sense. I like it because you can customize features more than sense. Also its a lot snappier on my eris. BUT, the one thing I like the most is the developer. He does a HELL of a job listening to his users, and taking time to do updates that make the UI even better. Lately, it's been almost every other day he is releasing new fixes and features. To me, it shows that this guy really cares about his development, and in my mind that's an app I would love to use... and I do!

23. Cajun83

Cajun83 Well-Known Member

ADW is faster IMO than sense. I can finally get rid of the stupid redundant phone button on the screen and put something useful down there... :)

Customization is far better on ADW than sense... looks better... and my battery life got better with ADW.

24. gadgetmom88

gadgetmom88 Well-Known Member

I'd like to use Sense, but it lags so much on my Eris that it isn't really possible. Have other people experienced this, or is there something wrong with my Eris? It runs fine on LP or ADW. On Sense, whenever I leave a program to return to the homescreen I get the HTC screen waiting while it loads back up the homescreen. Whenever I go to a page with a Sense widget, the widget is not available for 3-10 seconds. Too frustrating to use.

25. Cajun83

Cajun83 Well-Known Member

Sense isn't that bad on my phone but it did have some lag. It is completely gone with ADW.