• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Which micro SD card?

oleandere

Lurker
Nov 22, 2011
Hi,

I got a used Fascinate and did not receive a micro SD card with it. I admit I do not understand much about memory or about SD cards, so need to be educated like the noob I am, thank you. :eek:

Advice about what kind of SD card to get? What should I look for? What size? (Prefer not to spend over $30.)

Here's where I get confused. What kinds of things take up a lot of space on an SD card? (I was told for instance to put as many apps as possible onto an SD card, but I'm not sure why - presumably this is to prevent the apps from slowing down the phone? I like apps and might load a lot of them.)

I don't anticipate loading on a lot of videos, music, photos, etc., the things that would take up space (I would think). If I am on a trip and take 100 photos on the phone, I imagine I'd move them to my computer and delete them from the phone upon my return. On the other hand, I would like to have a lot of my work files (Word docs, etc.) available, and I'm going to be syncing with Outlook, for which the calendar & contacts may take up a lot of space.

What resides on the SD card versus somehow in the memory of the smartphone? What is the strategy?

Lisa T.

Welcome, fairly new to the Fascinate too.

Standard issue was the 16GB card, and if you're not doing a lot of videos and music that will store quite a few documents and apps. Photos can take up a lot of space depending on the resolution you save them in. Usually, nothing goes on the SD card that you don't put there.

With careful shopping, you may find a 32GB card very near your price range but you could just start with the 16Gb and decide if that's enough. A spare never hurts if you decide more is necessary :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones