Which Motorola Milestone to buyGeneral

Last Updated:

1. kcalpo

kcalpo New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone. I'm new here and I was wondering which Motorola Milestone to buy. I'm here in America and am trying to decide between these two. I currently have AT&T as my carrier:

Motorola Milestone NAM 3G 850/1900 (OEM) (Unlocked)

Motorola Milestone NAM (Telus) (Unlocked)

Now the Telus one and the OEM one seems to support the same frequency bands for AT&T 3G (HSPA 3G 850/1900). My only question is, what is the difference? I'd like to buy the OEM one because it's cheaper, but I'm wondering if there's more of an advantage to buy the Telus one. I read somewhere that I may have to fiddle with the APN settings to get 3G to work if I get the OEM one. Is this true and are there any other problems with buying the OEM version?

-KC

Advertisement
  2. Croak

Croak Well-Known Member

The Telus Milestone is only $599 CAD direct from a Telus retailer (and much cheaper than that if you dig on the Canadian metro Craigslists), so the Negri price seems a bit high on that version.

3. morden

morden Member

Can also unlock a Telus Milestone for under $10 if you know where to look. I would not buy from those links, they're too expensive. Its cheaper to buy directly from Telus.

4. kcalpo

kcalpo New Member This Topic's Starter

Just bought an Unlocked Telus Android (Unlocked) from mlee1999 on the forums here. AndroidForums.com rules. :p

5. tongas

tongas Member

I'm interest in knowing for how much I was ripoff by Negri...lol... I'm writing from my brand new Milestone NAM the one on the 1st link above. Been able to find some coupons online but was still over 560. Also I asked prior purchasing regarding the SD card and they assured it was 16Gb card, only to find brings an 8gb card...

Phone is great anyway!

6. nnh768

nnh768 New Member

Hi Tongas,

I am currently in the same situation as you were in last month, I see you bought the OEM version.

Can you tell me if you have full access to the Android Market? Meaning do you have access to copy protected paid apps? I read that unlocked unbranded Milestones cannot access these apps. Been searching around the net everywhere but can't find the answer.

A sure way of finding out if you can access to these apps is by searching for the Twidroid Pro app, if it yields a result then everything is good! Can you please search it for me on your phone and reply?

Thanks!

7. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

I have an unlocked and unbranded Milestone and found Twidroid PRO for $3.99

8. TelusMilestone

TelusMilestone Well-Known Member

Not sure if my phone is locked or not, I don't go out of country or with different carriers so I do not care. I sure do love my rooted Milestone though, I have 2.29 gigs of aps, games and wallpapers. :D

9. nnh768

nnh768 New Member

Szadzik, is your phone rooted? Is yours the NAM version? Sorry for the many questions, read too many different stories online.

TelusMilestone, hopefully i can get 2.29gigs of apps like you as soon as I figure this out lol.

10. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

Not NAM. Rooted.

11. Jai Cee

Jai Cee New Member

I have the Telus Android. They were cool enough to throw in a 16 gig micro sd card. Still love the phone. Such a beast to learn.

12. tongas

tongas Member

Hey there nnh, well I don't have full access to Market but I'm presuming that's because I'm at Mexico. I guess that the users with our same phone up on the States or Canada gave you some answers, you might need a rooted phone.
    So far my self, I want to root the phone and gain full access, but since I discovered I cannot install custom ROMS then I was waiting for rooting until a full official Froyo release hit the Milestone (which of course I know I will probably not be able to download directly but I know the dev community here and around will figure and post it somewhere to download and install ;))

Yesterday with all the hype around the leak of Froyo for the Droid I've got a little excited even knowing that this build will not work on the Milestone, it's just a matter of time for Milestone's users (worldwide more popular than the Droid lol, although I wish I can used CDMA instead of gsm but can't).

I'm pressuming that with the supposed launch of Droid2 in the next few weeks, Verizon and Moto are trying to keep people happy, and hence if there's going to be a Droid2 release, I believe and presume there's going to be a Milestone2 release, hopefully!

I would suggest that if your really cannot access the full market and want to do it, to root the phone (or have somebody do it for you if you're not skilled enough, be careful) then you might be able to install some apps that will make the market believe you have full access, like Szadzik did.

Use the search for finding a really complete and full explained thread on this forum on how to root the Milestone. Please read well and specially the bootloader number which can be tricky as they are very similar each other and you can confuse your self and make a mess and even brick the phone. The thread I'm mentioning starts explaining the process for bootloader 90.73 but most of the later Milestones have the bootloader 90.78 (as you can see 3 and 8 are very similar numbers and when triggering bootloader on the phone screen you can easily confuse those)

Good luck and let us know what was it about...

PS: I finally figured that Negri rip-me-off on around 150usd over price, and without the 16gb sd but the 8gb...:rolleyes:
    I was able to find the phone online at lower price searching for a853 motorola milestone and not only 'motorola milestone'... live to learn :)