• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which phone/carrier gives the most pure android experience (least crapware)

dl__

Lurker
Sep 3, 2010
I'm interested in getting an android based phone but so many carriers put their own layer on top of android: weird proprietary interfaces, apps that can't be deleted, possibly crippled features.

Which phone/carrier has the least modifications from a pure android experience?

The Google Experience ones: Nexus One, Droid, etc.

I think nexus one is no longer for sale. Droid is available from verizon but I think they put their own interface over android plus they have undeleteable apps (the NASCAR app for example). Isn't that true?

Is there a carrier that offers Droid with just straight android? I do like the Droid X though from what I've seen.

Upvote 0
I believe the n1 for tmobile is still available for developers (i think its $10 to become a registered developer) but its on backorder.

the droid1 is a stock android phone but its no longer available from verizon, but you can ebay one in good condition for under $200 and with its amazing rom community it ll run almost as good (or better) than a droid2

the upcoming g2 for tmobile looks to be a stock android phone, although i don't believe that has been confirmed yet and the just announched huwaei (spelling is wrong) phone that isn't confirmed for teh us yet is stock android

im sure im missing some

Upvote 0
The Nexus One is straight Android with nothing added. As stated above, you can still get the developer handset, but they are back-ordered. Not sure, but they may be available for AT&T as well.

On Verizon, the original Motorola Droid offers the cleanest experience, despite the outdated hardware. Amazon and a few other places still offer them for free or near free on contract, while supplies last (no more being made.

You can also order a world phone, such as the Motorola Milestone, but they usually won't work on US 3G bands.

Or, you can get the phone with the best specs, root, and run a custom ROM. For example, the HTC Incredible offers both Cyanogen and Skyraider.

Upvote 0
There are NO US non crapware crippled phones to be had NOT EVEN direct form the manufacturer(Samsung is who I tried) nor the carrier for list price. I have tried and can't find anything not crapped out..Good luck.If you find out differently PLEASE PM me..I 've been trying to buy a clean phone @ MSRP even BUT the greed outweighs logic...

Upvote 0
Historically, there is one carrier that carried the most raw Androids. T-Mobile USA.

G1
MyTouch 3G
The Nexus One (first wave)
G2
T-Mobile Comet (aka Huawei Ideos)
Optimus T (only a themed experience)
Nexus S

Rumors has the LG Optimus 2X might be headed to T-Mo. Like the Optimus T, this one only delivers a decorated or themed Android experience. Not a true UI shell.

The next is Sprint

Samsung Moment
Samsung Intercept
LG Optimus S (the only Optimus that has raw unthemed Android)

Verizon has
Motorola Droid
LG Ally (only a themed experience)

Note, unlike Samsung which has "Touchwiz" on its Androids, LG doesn't have any of its featurephone shells like the S UI on its Androids.

Upvote 0
Still wading thru the 'paperwork' will keep you advised but it doesn't look good...yet
Google website requires a URL ..I have no website to use ?? Any ideas of how to get past this point..It's now a $25.00 fee but that;s OK if I get a clean phone , actually if I get one with Touch wiz I'm really happy
Never mind, I just created a google website ..seems to be acceptable for the purpose

UPDATE; After creating a Google DEV account and I CAN buy a clean DEV phone it doesn't help much as there doesn't seem to be be any verizon (cdma) dev phones anyway--wasted $25 !? FYI..Have about 1 year left on my verizon contract, never again I'll buy w/o a subsidy and use the provider of my choice buying and selling an eBay as needed

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones