1. HUGE Androidforums.com UPDATE! Learn what's new (and download the new app!)
    Dismiss Notice

Which phone is right for me?Support

Last Updated:

1. ROBOCRIPPLE

ROBOCRIPPLE Member This Topic's Starter

I believe I need a new phone, though I wish I don't. The one I have now is a no-brand Chinese phone that I bought on AliExpress and it's not performing as well as I expected. The specs look good on paper: 4GB RAM, eight cores, 18MP camera, 1440p, and stock Android. But, I'm having some issues with it: (1) Sometimes it lags; sometimes apps don't boot quickly enough or crash, and sometimes the phone doesn't wake up from sleep immediately; (2) I can't run AnTutu benchmark on it; (3) It is not officially supported by Cyanogenmod, Clockworkmod, or TWRP; (4) No NFC, though that is probably not an issue to me. I did remove AVG which I got for free and it did help with the performance issues a little.

I foolishly upgraded to it from my Samsung Galaxy S3 after a 3-year contract, and now I lost it. :( Even though I did install CWM Recovery and Cyanogenmod on it. By learning that there is no universal way of installing CWM or TWRP recoveries and there is no universal way to install Cyanogenmod on any smart device, I learned that Android devices are a completely different platform than PCs, where I can use any linux ISO or Windows CD-ROM or USB stick to install Windows or Linux; in ARM-based devices, ROMs and zips are specific to each individual device, which only drives me nuts coming from PCs.

Now, I'm asking for you guys' help in which phone I should upgrade to. There are so many phones out there (available in the West), it drives me nuts. Here is the criteria:
    • Something that I can buy unlocked for an affordable price, rather than an insanely high amount such as this year's flagship phones for $800+.
    • Has third-party accessories compatible with it such as cases and batteries.
    • Performs decently with most apps. I don't need something that is top-tier, just something that I can play casual games on the go with and use apps without them crashing or slowdown.
    • Always wakes up immediately after I wake it up from sleep or switching a song in a media player app.
    • A decent battery life.
    • Officially supported by CWM, TWRP, and Cyanogenmod (or eventually) so that I can make an upgrade whenever I want to.
    • NFC
    • Not too large in size; about the same size as the Samsung Galaxy S3 at the most.
    • Decent cameras.
    • Doesn't matter which country it comes from, as long as it's recognized by Canadians such as myself.
    Bonus:
    • HDMI-OUT or MHL-compatible
    • Can play 3D games decently, but I don't really play those games on the go; which is where HDMI-OUT comes in.
    • No bloatware.

Advertisement
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  2. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

If it's Chinese phones you're after and want plenty of customizations options, like CyanogenMod, TWRP, CWM, AOSP etc. and a device that has good user support and plenty of information. Have a look at OnePlus I think.

"I bought on **********"
    ...BTW that tells us everything we need to know about that vendor. i.e. the name is automatically censored by AF and is not welcome at all! :thumbsupdroid:

3. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ± Moderator

Hello there and welcome @ROBOCRIPPLE !
    Are you looking for new or used? What carrier do you use, or want to be on?
    Right now the device that comes to my head is any of the Nexus lines.

mikedt likes this.
  4. ROBOCRIPPLE

It doesn't matter which country it comes from, what carrier I use, or whether it's new or used. I just want a decent unlocked phone that I can use my current carrier and plan with. And the shop where I bought the almost-decent chinese phone is Ali Express. What's so bad about it, aside from questionable shipping from many vendors?

5. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Best Answer
    Actually that can matter very much. Because it's come up many times on this forum...things like...."Help!!! I bought this phone and it's only giving 2G service with AT&T and I can't make it work with Verizon at all!"

FYI a very useful site..
    http://willmyphonework.net/

I believe it was originally censored by Android Forums because of spam. What's so bad about it, because it can really be pot luck what you're actually going to get. Like your "no-brand Chinese" whatever it is, frankly that sounds like it's got serious problems. And if you want to do anything custom like CyanogenMod...good luck! And if you do get a lemon, can be rather difficult, lengthy, costly or even impossible to do an RMA with many Chinese vendors.

I concur with @Mikestony now, get a Nexus, might be happy with one of them. And non of the crapshoot of Alibaba and the 40,000 Thieves(vendors). :D

FYI about Alibaba who runs Ali Express.
    http://forbesindia.com/article/cross-border/alibaba-and-the-40000-thieves/41649/1
    "The world's biggest online retailer courses with an unprecedented torrent of counterfeit and sham goods"

Mike in China, your Guide to Chinese Androids. :thumbsupdroid:

BTW PCs are easy for Linux and things, because they have to be able to run Windows which is very universal, which makes them pretty standard and known actually. Which means you can get Ubuntu or something, and put it straight on there.

svim and Mikestony like this.
  6. ROBOCRIPPLE

Ok, I'll give one of the Nexus devices a shot. Thank you for your help, guys.

I'll have to remind myself not to buy anything from Ali Express or other Chinese storefronts again. I'll just buy from Amazon, Newegg, or any brick-and-mortar store for most things, and the carriers themselves for a new phone.

Like they always say, "curiosity killed the cat."

Mikestony and mikedt like this.
  7. ROBOCRIPPLE

Oh yeah, my almost-decent Chinese phone does work with my carrier, it's not getting 4G LTE; just 2G and 3G. And, it does have a fingerprint scanner, too, but it's not a very god one.

mikedt likes this.
  8. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

I've got a Chinese phone, an Oppo R7 Plus, and I found that wouldn't get 4G LTE when I was in the UK a couple of months ago, just 2G and 3G. But 3G was enough for the 10 days I was there anyway. The Oppo gets 4G LTE no problem in China of course. :thumbsupdroid: ...and the Oppo fingerprint scanner seems to be 100% reliable for me, and always unlocks it no problem. :)

BTW a quirk with a Chinese phone, is that it's assuming my Dad is in Guangxi Autonomous Region, China, when in fact he's in Weston Super Mare, UK. And it did that with many of my contact UK mobile numbers, when I didn't prefix them with +44. dad.jpg

Quite a few people were howling about that on Oppo Forums as well when they've bought Chinese version Oppos, instead of the more suitable international versions. i.e. showing Chinese location info for non-Chinese phone numbers.

Then Oppo puts all this in the stock contacts app. Great in the PRC, completely useless anywhere else. LOL
    yellow.jpg
    Yeh, Bruce Lee is now a fast food restaurant.