Which phone/service

Last Updated:

1. swiftwood

swiftwood Member This Topic's Starter

Hello, Old time Linux user, back when you used to load it on floppies, looking to get into programming apps for Android My background is a BS in Computer Science, MS in Mechanical Engineering. I want to bring engineering apps to the phones so people can use them in school and out in the field. Haven't actually picked up a phone yet. I'm currently on AT&T, and did think about getting an iPhone, but with linux background I think I'm better off getting an Android phone I'm leaning towards Verizon and a Droid, though I like the keyboard on the Devour thoughts? BTW how do you get the forum to recognize carriage returns?

Advertisement
  2. Skaggz

Skaggz Member

The Devour comes with MotoBlur, so unless you're really into social networking I would recommend the Moto Droid. Many people have deemed the Devour the Droid's little cousin, or something akin to that.

Definitely don't go with AT&T's Backflip as a developer. You cannot install non-market apps on it. That means no pre-release testing other than the SDK emulator.

Coming from Linux is a plus. However for development on the Android OS, you'll need a decent background in Java and OOP.

3. swiftwood

thanks I'm Java certified, though it's old.

4. Skaggz

Skaggz Member

If you haven't done so already, download the Android SDK. It is tailored to be used in conjuction with Eclipse, but you can use any IDE you'd like. There are also a couple of app tutorials on the site so you can get a feel of what it's like to program for an Android device.

5. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

You're always better off selecting the carrier first, based on coverage where you need it.

6. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Sprint/Verizon are the best for coverage, but verizon loves to cripple their phones, and sprint has 4g. However, vzw does have the ever so popular droid.

7. swiftwood

just pick up a Droid @ BestBuy they were $100 cheaper than the Verizon Store