Which Phone to buy?

Last Updated:

1. Bobbe

Bobbe New Member This Topic's Starter

Aug 31, 2010
    Hey guys, newcomer here with a (I hope) simple yet complex question (let me know if this is not the right section to ask)

I live in Brazil, and I want to import a phone from the US to bring over here (prices in Brazil are INSANELY high, and there is a serious delay between phones being launched elsewhere and here. I think we get the latest models as fast as Burkina Faso or something).

Anyway, I want to buy an Android phone for my current carrier here, so I would obviously have to buy it unlocked. It also has to be GSM (CDMA in Brazil is pretty much phased out, literally no carrier uses it)

The bands my carrier operates on are 850/1900 for EDGE and 2100 for HSPA, so I will probably need a quadriband.

The features I want are 4.0+ screen, a 1GHz processor or close, and optionally a qwerty keyboard (the Epic 4G would be fantastic, but it's CDMA, which in Brazil, like I said, is pretty much abandoned). 512 mbs of RAM would be a very nice addition, since Gingerbread is rumoured to have this much as its recommended setting for RAM and I don't want to have to upgrade in like 6 months to have a reasonably good experience.

I'm assuming I probably want the Galaxy S, but am I right? Is there any phone I'm missing? The Droid X is CDMA-only, I haven't seen any upcoming GSM releases of it, but if so that would be a mighty phone to have.

Also, if anyone else has had the same needs and bought the unlocked Galaxy S, did they have any issues? Did it work OK?

Thanks in advance for any answer.

2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Moved to the Android Lounge. You'll get better (and more) answers there. :)
    Bobbe likes this.