• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which phone to choose?

Steven's note: If anyone wants to ask advice, ask it here. I don't believe we need a multiplication of these threads, which I why I combined them. If anyone gets upset? Just understand that in 100 years it won't matter as no one will remember this decision (or any of us, most likely, for that matter.) ;) :p

Verizon is letting me early upgrade, and I am unsure if I should get the
Droid X or wait for the Samsung Galaxy S. What do you all think, and
which would you choose and why??

SAMSUNG GALAXY S Fascinate most deffinately. Reasons Why
Sumer Amoled Screen, Perfect 4 inch size.
Fastest 1Ghz Processor available on any android..the hummingbird
Fastest GPU available on any android
Leight Weight, no odd bulky shape or bumps
Gorilla Glass (maybe droidX has it also, not sure)
Sexier Looking Phone, might get you laid
Its a world release phone, more dev support.
Fascinate comes out sept 9th, ships sept 6th, best buy pre orders already begun!
GPS issue is no longer an issue, the sprint epic is shipping with the gps fixed, so will the fascinate. captivate/vibrant will have their ota gps fix within a couple weeks.

Before all the droidx people go crazy on me, I mean this is a droidX forum an all, also I understand that it is difficult for someone who owns a droidX and just payed money for it to be impartial, so please don't go crazy droidX owners, I think your phone is cool too. However, I think the galaxy S phones are just in a class of their own, they set the new benchmark in performance and graphics.

Upvote 0
ok heres the deal, im due for a new phone i still have a razer that is about shot, since its been so long that i have upgrade my phone i still got a great plan its actually a alltel one its 900 for 59.99, which i dont really want to lose because i have a add a line on there for 9.99. so i never had a smartphone and would really like a X, but i dont really want to be payin what i figure would be close to 120 a month. right now i got 59.99 for 900, 400 tex mins for 7.99, and the add a line. so with taxes now im paying around 80-90. with the droid x it would include the data plan for 29.99 i guess wheres to i figured it would after taxes come to around 117, because my tex wouldnt carry over so i had to replace it with the 10$ one, i could maybe lower my mins but im just wonderin what i could do to get my monthly bill not so high, but maybe there is no way in doin that and i wont get the X. any thoughts would help, thanks.

i suggest you find out if verizon has a customer loyalty department/cancellation/retentions department. call them, let them know you been a customer for a long time, you are in the market for a smartphone. Tell them you are shopping carriers, see if they can get you a great deal on not only the phone, but also maybe put you in on a grandfathered plan, or let you keep your grandfathered plan and possibly also give you grandfathered data/internet pricing for your 3G data. if not, just shop around, maybe you can find another carrier. Chances are, you been with them sooo long, they will probably throw in the droidX for free or half off, give you a grandfathered plan, on top of that give you the data for like 20 instead of 29.99, also they might throw on top of everything a student discount or employee discount.

good luck, and keep the razr, its an awesome backup phone.

Upvote 0
so i order the droid x but i got a few ?'s about it.

does it automaticly find wifi? also if there is no wifi thats where the data package comes in?

if you use the cam to upload pics, does that include the data, or do you need a picture package?

is it sade, say like to buy stuff with it?

anything else you could tell me would be great, i hate to ask feel so stupid, but never had a smartphone before and thought id give this one a try, prolly dont really need it but well see. thanks.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
so i order the droid x but i got a few ?'s about it.

does it automaticly find wifi? also if there is no wifi thats where the data package comes in?

if you use the cam to upload pics, does that include the data, or do you need a picture package?

is it sade, say like to buy stuff with it?

anything else you could tell me would be great, i hate to ask feel so stupid, but never had a smartphone before and thought id give this one a try, prolly dont really need it but well see. thanks.

It can be set up to automatically find and connect to known WiFi networks. I loaded an applet from the market to help the process along and to turn off WiFi when I leave the area of a known WiFi network.

In terms of the phones safety in financial transactions it supports secure http connections so my guess is that it's about as safe as most of the retailer web sites. I certainly wouldn't recommend storing credit card information on the phone unprotected. A lost phone that wasn't properly secured could provide the finder with lots of potentially hackable information. And most commercially available encryption protocols could, in theory, be cracked with enough time and computing horsepower....

Upvote 0
SAMSUNG GALAXY S Fascinate most deffinately. Reasons Why
Sumer Amoled Screen, Perfect 4 inch size.Opinion
Fastest 1Ghz Processor available on any android..the hummingbird Fact, slight advantage
Fastest GPU available on any android Fact, slight advantage
Leight Weight, no odd bulky shape or bumps Droid X is EXTREMELY thin, and lightweight for size
Gorilla Glass (maybe droidX has it also, not sure) Droid X has GG...
Sexier Looking Phone, might get you laid Opinion, If you call generic rounded plastic and old iPhone look sexy?...
Its a world release phone, more dev support. Meh, slight advantage
Fascinate comes out sept 9th, ships sept 6th, best buy pre orders already begun!
GPS issue is no longer an issue, the sprint epic is shipping with the gps fixed, so will the fascinate. captivate/vibrant will have their ota gps fix within a couple weeks. lol, issues already before buying?

Before all the droidx people go crazy on me, I mean this is a droidX forum an all, also I understand that it is difficult for someone who owns a droidX and just payed money for it to be impartial, so please don't go crazy droidX owners, I think your phone is cool too. However, I think the galaxy S phones are just in a class of their own, they set the new benchmark in performance and graphics.
Says they guy with the username "SamsungVibrant"...

I just don't trust Samsung. They have their shitty TouchWiz 3.0 interface on top of Android, crippling the phone from it's true speed. They have lackluster customer service, and support for the future, and they are slow with updates.

Either way, both phones are great choices. I prefer the form factor, battery life, support, camera, and larger screen on the Droid X. Also, does the Samsung have an HDMI out?

nG

Upvote 0
Says they guy with the username "SamsungVibrant"...

I just don't trust Samsung. They have their shitty TouchWiz 3.0 interface on top of Android, crippling the phone from it's true speed. They have lackluster customer service, and support for the future, and they are slow with updates.

nG

Touchwiz isn't that horrible but you aren't forced to use it so its not like that should be an real sticking point, you can go with adw or lp to replace touchwiz.

Upvote 0
Steven's note: If anyone wants to ask advice, ask it here. I don't believe we need a multiplication of these threads, which I why I combined them. If anyone gets upset? Just understand that in 100 years it won't matter as no one will remember this decision (or any of us, most likely, for that matter.) ;) :p

Verizon is letting me early upgrade, and I am unsure if I should get the
Droid X or wait for the Samsung Galaxy S. What do you all think, and
which would you choose and why??

Choose the one that has better reception. Test the reception by using the phone in a bad reception area.

I mention reception cuz for some former EVO and Inc owners its 1 of the reasons why they switched to the X. Its the only reason my Droid is now a back up phone. (not really a back up phone, its my number 2 phone cuz I still use it.... its just not activated) If the X didnt have better reception that my Droid, it was going back....

Find out about battery life for both phones too. They should be similar tho.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones