Which ROM has best WiFi functionality??

Last Updated:

1. notaguru

notaguru Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm using KF v37 and like it, except that WiFi performance is quite poor. The Eris must be within 10' of the wireless router or it will "Connect" but is unstable.

Other devices (such as this laptop) work well even 50' away.

Advertisement
  2. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

I can't say that it's 'best', but Nonsensikal has good performance.
    Both my home and my business are two story structures of about the same size. At home the access point is downstairs, at the business it's upstairs. At either place I get a usable signal no matter where I am in the building, and a little bit outside.
    I never had any problem with xtrROM when I was using it, my wife's phone is on xtrSense and it works fine at home.

3. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I'll start this by saying that the Eris's WiFi radio is pretty weak, but I have had no trouble with WiFi on my Eris on any ROM - until recently. Anyway, I've run Kaos through V35.1 without trouble; Nonsensikal through 7.0 without trouble; CELB through 3.2; xtrROM through 4.6 without problems; and I am now on xtrSENSE 4.6 and it's working great.

CELB is the weird one. I recently upgraded to 3.4 and WiFi has been weird - it tends to take a long time to attach to WiFi here when I come into range or turn the radio on. I am wondering if it is the new V6 of Conap's CFS kernel.

Anyway, I have a two story house with three access points, one on each floor and one in the basement, all with the same SSID but on channels 1, 6, and 11. That would be the one thing that I would check - on one of your notebooks, run an app that will do a WiFi scan of all access points to see if your neighbors are running on the same channel that you are. (There is also a phone app called WiFi Analyzer which can do the same, if you want to keep it to your phone, though I'd think that your laptop would have a stronger radio.) If they are, try changing to a different channel (you should stick to 1, 6, and 11, though you really can choose just about anything - just try to stay about 4 or 5 channels away from a neighbor's signal.) Also, if you are running in b/g/n mode, try changing to b/g only temporarily to see if that makes things any better. Lastly, you can always see if your router/access point has a firmware update available - that may help.

4. nomarsgirl

nomarsgirl Well-Known Member

I'm on Kaos 36 and mine works fine. I always use wifi at home because there is no 3G signal here (and sometimes not even voice).

5. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

That's weird. Mine works perfectly fine. It actually works with my wifi anywhere on my block.

6. VanDums

VanDums Well-Known Member

I use Tazz Vanilla 11 and have had no wireless problems.