Which Rom is the best?

Last Updated:

1. ahmadshawki

ahmadshawki Active Member This Topic's Starter

I know this sounds like someone who doesn't know what he's talking about, but here are the details.
    I have the 2GB stock SDcard and I have formatted it to use A2SD 2.5 into swap 32MB, ext3 512MB and Fat the rest.
    I'm running DamageControl 2.07.2 and everything works perfect except that it is too slow, sluggish and laggy most of the time, though I have only downloaded 20-25 apps and I have 132 MB free internal memory.
    So, here's what I need.
    Should I reformat my SDcard into other partitions, should I delete the swap partition, should I flash some other Rom 'coz I know now there are a lot in the xda-developers site.
    I want my Hero to run smoothly and as fast as it can. Of course better battery life is also preferred.
    Can anyone help me with this and point me in the right direction.
    Another question, is there any application to act as the alt-tab function in the windows, but from any screen, like pressing a hard button or something?
    At last, I'm so sorry for being that long...

Advertisement
  2. ahmadshawki

What , no one knows or you don't wanna help me?

3. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

I don't know much about apps2sd, but does the class of the card (being that the stock sd card is class 2) have anything to do with it? I think that the class 2 cards are much slower, but I don't know if it is only when copying files or when the phone loads the app from the card. I know it prob doesn't help you, but just a thought....

4. ahmadshawki

So, do you think I should change the card itself. May be bring 8GB class 6 or 10?
    Also, how to get all my apps from my card to the new one without setting them up all again?

5. 330D

As I said, I'm not familiar with apps2sd, or how any of it works. I just replaced my stock sd card over the weekend, and used my pc to swap everything from one sd to the other. I imagine that you could do the same with your apps, if you wanted to swap to a higher class card, but I don't know, because you have to partition your card first. I know that there was a discussion in http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-sprint-hero/60759-apps2sd-fresh-2-0d.html Maybe that can help you more......

EDIT. I know it says for fresh, but it will have some info to help you

6. ahmadshawki

I'll check it first. Thanks a lot...

7. 330D

8. 330D

9. mcapozzi

mcapozzi Well-Known Member

I have a Class 4 card running Fresh 2.0d with Apps2SD.

It isn't bad, but the phone can lag a bit while multi-tasking.

Perhaps a 2.1 ROM w/o Sense would be faster, I tried the Sushi ROM but it was missing too much stuff (Exchange support) and I got a lot of FCs even though I throughly nuked the phone before installing it.

-Mike

10. flammenwurfer

flammenwurfer Well-Known Member

I'm running Fresh 2.0d with A2SD on a 16gb class 6 card and it's running great. I know flipz recommends at least a class 6 card because your apps are running off the sd card. If your card is slow your whole phone will be slow.

As far as not having to setup your apps again. Titanium backup will backup all your current apps along with any settings associated with them as well as your system settings. Everything will have to be reinstalled once you flash the ram again with A2SD enabled but if you backed everything up with Titanium it will be very easy and fairly quick to restore everything. It will install all apps along with their settings one after the other with minimal input from you and it should be back to how it was before in no time.

11. mcapozzi

mcapozzi Well-Known Member

Class 6 is as fast as it gets. I doubt there are many apps out there that need 6MB/sec read and write speeds besides a camcorder.

Most Android apps are a couple MBs in size, therefore they could be read or written in their entirety in less than a second even on a Class 2 card.

I'm starting to wonder if there is some sort of core Android "feature" that rears it ugly head when there are a lot of apps installed on the phone. Why else would there be a hard-coded app limit?

-Mike

12. doneve141

doneve141 Well-Known Member

I had damages 1 and liked it but wanted to get back to sprint so I upgraged to damages 2. I noticed over several weeks that it was slower, had less battery life, and just as buggie while not the same bugs. I reverted back to the damage 1 rom and saw things speed up and my battery last longer. I have been running aps to sd on an 8 gig card. The partitions the same since using Fresh 1.1 before going to damages. The rom seems to make the difference. I have read that it is good to clear data and refresh the rom from time to time.

13. ahmadshawki

Ok. I now know that the card is class 2, but since it is not the problem as mentioned here "Darktremor A2SD (Apps2SD) version 2.6.1 - Release 2 (2010-04-27) - xda-developers" I can flash the nocache version, but it didn't help me and it decreased the available memory to 50 MB.
    So, any suggestions before I downgrade to another ROM? May be 2.06 or 2.05? They worked great before, but do they also support A2SD and are they very buggy or not 'coz I can't really remember?