Which ROM should I download?

Last Updated:

1. Opivyattack

Opivyattack Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm brand new to smartphones but I'm sick of waiting for HTC/Verizon to release an update or news or anything. So I'm finally giving in to rooting and flashing but I don't know which ROM to pick or what the differences are really. I just want one that is stable, uses sense or at least mocks sense perfectly as I use the sense widgets every single day (ie calendar, photo album) and I haven't found any android apps that are as good as the sense widgets. I also have a major issue with bluetooth so I would really like a ROM that has solved my BT issues. The problems that I have are that my phone often reboots when in BT mode (for example when I am streaming music through my car stereo and then exit the car with the phone). Another issue is that I can't control the phone through my stereo (not sure if there's even a ROM that would resolve this). The final BT issue that I have is that when I set the phone to media only, it will not automatically connect to the stereo even after being paired. It only connects automatically when I have the phone and media set to BT but I prefer to use the phone separately as my BT stereo does not pick up my voice well at all. Beyond that I'm just looking for something stable that has as few bugs/things not working as possible, and is fast.

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Advertisement
  2. cortland1998

cortland1998 Well-Known Member

I've messed around with the majority of the ROMs and my favorite by far is Third Wave. Super stable and has sense. As far as BT goes I'm not sure as I don't use BT. If its anything like the rest of the ROM I'm sure it works great. Hulu works with it and installs a folder with a how to on getting Hulu to work :)

http://androidforums.com/roms-incredible/151185-third-wave.html

3. Jakaro

Jakaro Well-Known Member

Im using FrankenRomb b5 in the evo port test roms page, it also has a hulu app and flash for it to work, runs 2.2 Froyo w/sense, So far its a great rom.

4. Reaver

Reaver Well-Known Member

I have used both third wave and FrankenRom.
    Third Wave is All incredible w/ froyo. It's stable and runs great.
    Frankenrom is an EVO/Incredible hybrid. It too is stable and runs great.
    I am using with frankenrom since it can be themed with the evo themes that have been created. Also, contagious has created a custom wallpaper, keyboard, and boot animation for frankenrom. The wallpaper is sweet. I can't rate the keyboard or boot animation since they will be available in the next version of frankenrom.

Your best bet is to read about the roms and see what would fit your needs. Make sure you do a nandroid back-up before you flash anything.

Cheers!

5. gonzoguy24

gonzoguy24 Well-Known Member

I am so getting next version of franenrom lol

6. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Frankenrom.

7. ceeDroid

ceeDroid New Member

Pulled FrankenROM onto my incredible two days ago. Speedy, stable, cool graphics....
    Everything is working great, except my blueant v1 can't find the phone. There's probably a fix, but I haven't found it.

8. Opivyattack

Opivyattack Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Okay, thanks for the help so far all. So I'm trying to figure out how to do this properly so that I minimize the risk of ruining my phone. It seems like everyone wants to do something different (unroot, s-off, s-on, install OTA leak, revert to stock, install only a new radio or kernel, etc). So what I want to do is just basic. I want to install a new radio (probably 2.15 if possible since it appears to be the newest and while it doesn't have any noticeable difference it also doesn't appear to do anything negative), and throw on a custom ROM. Still debating between Third Wave and Frankenrom but I'll probably start with Frankenrom first. So what are the proper steps? Install the radio first and then root or root then install radio? Do I need S-off for what I want to do or is it overkill for my situation? Everything else I think I should be able to figure out through my knowledge of OSs and other posts unless someone wanted to help me with a full description of how to achieve what I want :). I've been reading the forums all day and most people seem to have come from another smartphone so while I'm fairly tech saavy, this is new ground for me. Again, the help is appreciated. Also FRB5 and Thirdwave are both 2.2 roms right? I couldn't find a definitive answer. And neither includes a radio update? That has to be done separately, right?

9. Casbah

Casbah Well-Known Member

I'm still not clear what the difference is between the Wave ROMS and Frankenrom. Same developer but different somehow. :-/

Anyone know how to get rid of the File Manager that's preinstalled on Frankenrom? I removed my usual cadre of non-needed apps but couldn't find the correct apk to remove for this program.

10. dscribe

dscribe Well-Known Member

I believe Frankenroms are EVO/Incredible hybrid ROMs and the Wave ROMs are all incredible stuff with nothing EVO.

At this point I am recommending Virtuous. Really good, stable, usable, dependable, modifiable ROM.

bravesfan171 and Casbah like this.
  11. Casbah

Casbah Well-Known Member

I definitely like the Virtuous 2.6.2 (think that's the most current) and Nandroided it for a restore. Just wanted to test out the other ROMS. Had a problem installing Fourth Wave just not (well 2 times) erroring saying E: Our of Space for I flashed back to Frank. Think I'll go back to Virtuous alltogether though as this seemed to be the most stable so far.

12. jbdan

jbdan Well-Known Member

Virtuous is excellent bugs are almost non-existent I have none zip zero nada. It just works + the dev is responsive, attentive and active always looking at user feedback for further enhancements. It's also on ROM Manager and has a lot of nice extra goodies.

Casbah likes this.
  13. Casbah

Casbah Well-Known Member

Nandroid restoring back to Virtuous 2.6 as I type. :)

14. mkarps

mkarps Well-Known Member

I loved the extra signal bars in Frankenrom, but also went back to Virtuous for stability. Just feels the most smooth and stable.

15. upther

upther Well-Known Member

You might want to check out Uncommon Sense. It's still in beta so there are a few minor issues but it's surprisingly stable. Feels nice and crisp. Good stuff so far.