Which ROMs are really different from stock Android?

1. dylane

dylane Well-Known Member

I'm looking to get a smartphone soon, and I generally like Android hardware...but I'm not a big fan of the OS (UI mostly). I keep hearing how customizable Android is, but most of the ROMs that I hear people talking about seem to aim to be pretty close to stock Android. So are there ROMs that take the opposite approach and try to be as different from Android as possible?

Advertisement
    :
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Miui, MIUI Official Site although iphone is about as different from android as you can get. You say you like the android hardware? Well the latest iphones have pretty equal hardware specs to them.

That said, there are many different 3rd party launchers out there that you simply install. It all depends what it is you dont like about the "Android UI"

Its funny, if you get a samsung galaxy s2 and put MIUI on it, you have an iphone anyway :)
    jamieG71 likes this.
  3. CjWelborn

CjWelborn Member

My phone was the definition of stock android. A samsung galaxy precedent running 2.2.2 (froyo), pretty cheap and cheap looking. With my cyanogenmod 7, custom boot anims, custom system theme, go launcher ex homescreen theme, & all the other mods ive done it is anything but stock now. Plus the cm7 mod upgraded android a little for me, it seems to run faster (system test says it does). So you can basically make your android phone look and feel however you want. Especially if you're artistic and tech-literate. Im pretty sure no one around my town has a phone exactly like mine.
    SUroot likes this.
  4. jamieG71

jamieG71 Member Developer

Funny indeed! Lol :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk