Which ROM's get the "best" battery life?

Last Updated:

1. iamtooproud

iamtooproud Active Member This Topic's Starter

Can anybody advise me on which ROM's they run and the battery life that may get?

Or, how to set SetCPU to get optimized battery life? Yes, I have read the SetCPU guide, but it doesn't really make any recommendations to actual profiles.

I am currently running Ivans Official, and for me, with heavy usage, I may get a a day. I tried Plain Jane, but would only get about 8 hours.

Should I consider a Froyo based ROM? From what I have read, they don't seem to be much better in terms of battery life.

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

xtrROMs run so fast and stable on the Eris that overclocking is not necessary, thus saving a lot of battery life.

I am not absolutely certain of the Sense version of xtrROM, and am speaking only of the other releases.

What is customized, installed and configured has a huge impact on resources as well, no matter the ROM. ;)

3. lukesdiesel

lukesdiesel Well-Known Member

I could get a good 14hrs out of Evil Eris 3.0. On my Eris the battery doesn't seem to like the 2.2 Froyo ROMs. But I have been trying Cyanogen Tazz 1.0 and it seems to working great for battery life.

8hrs 36m Since Unplugged
    30mins talk time
    40 text messages
    Overclocked to 710
    Checked and sent around 15 emails.
    79 % Battery Left.

4. andrizoid

andrizoid Well-Known Member

sense roms run down battery a lot faster than others, so id give white widow or maybe CELB a shot. both are CM builds running off of 2.1

2.2 CM roms have battery issues from what ive heard

5. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

I got 18 hours out of my Nonsensikal 2.2 CM Rom yesterday. Did moderate texting, emailing, internet usage, etc. I usually get in the range of 12-16 hours depending on how I use it. If I have Google Maps running, I get terrible battery life, but I think that this has always been the case.

6. Duffman3005

Duffman3005 Active Member

I've been running 3 days so far on a single charge (currently at 12%) on KaosFroyo rom. Though others haven't had the same results as I do...

Edit- the most I've done in those 3 days though is some pdf reading and music when I work out

7. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

You must carry a mini cell tower in your back pocket!! :D

8. emunny

emunny Well-Known Member

I use kaosfroyo v30 and get about a full day maybe more with a single charge and using my phone regularly.
    I think 2.2 gets better by the updates and 30 is is so stable right now and super fast, wouldnt go back to horrible 2.1

9. LuvArabians

LuvArabians Active Member

I'm using the latest version of XtrRom and it's almost doubled my battery life. I was only getting about 7 or less hours a day and today it's been 12 hours and I'm at 35%.

10. Hypo Luxa

Hypo Luxa Well-Known Member

I was getting roughly 8 - 10 hours out of Evil Eris 3.0, and about 9 hours out of xtrSense, but since I've switched to xtrROM 3.0.3 I've been getting around 16 hours (Don't know exactly since I've not been able to run my battery down most of the way in a single day, and I religiously charge every night). Actually been putting off going with the latest xtrROM 4 because I am extremely happy with the speed of my phone coupled with the longevity of the battery so I see no reason to move.

And maybe it's just me, but for some reason, it seems to charge faster with xtrrom. I'd like to see if charging times can be affected by the rom if the phone is left on but in sleep mode. I propose that it can be affected. Of course, if the device it turned off, then no, obviously a rom is not going to have any effect on it whatsoever, however, I'm betting that background services that are running while the phone is sleeping do affect the charge time. And you can't tell me that nothing is running while the phone is sleeping because if that were the case, you'd never receive a phone call or text message while it is sleeping.

11. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

It probably depends on what the ROM's minimum clock speed is set to. If the ROM can idle at a very low CPU speed, I'd guess that it can charge faster.

Just remember that charging faster (especially when the battery is above 80-90%) has its costs - the faster that you charge the battery at that level, the more heat that it generates, which will affect the long-term life of the battery. This is why most devices like phones will trickle-charge the last bit of charging a device. If somehow a ROM is setting the trickle point at a higher percentage than another ROM (not that I know that they can, but perhaps they can) - sure, it will charge faster, but there is a cost to that speed.

12. shaggylouie

shaggylouie Well-Known Member

I've been running xtrROM 4.0.6.1 for the last four days and have seen an increase of battery life since downloading. I am currently on my 23rd hour since my last plug in and am showing 70-75% battery!

However, I have been light on my phone the past 23 hours - a couple of phone calls, a few texts, and a lot of quick app views and internet use. My settings are the same general settings to help conserve battery life - nothing special. I believe the biggest help is setCPU set to 480 160 when screen is off. With this ROM, you do not have to set CPU at all, but I set the screen off setting nice and low.

I'm still using my original Battery, but have ordered the slim extended life battery. I am going to use the extended battery for piece of mind in case I need to make a lot of phone calls as I would need to in an emergency - you never know.

13. Kaessa

Kaessa Well-Known Member

I managed to get two full days out of KaosFroyo without any extra overclocking (stock overclock to 710, I believe). This is with light usage. I easily get a full day with heavy usage, unless I use the GPS.

14. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

n/m

15. rick311

rick311 Well-Known Member

i have KaosFroyo ROM on my phone. i tweaked it with a few setcpu profiles. i am now on day 2 with HEAVY use (LOTS of phone calls, few texts, app installs, setting tweaks etc.) and after 24 hours i am down to 50% battery life. after flashing, i charged it full and went into recovery mode to delete the battery statistics as well.

16. iamtooproud

iamtooproud Active Member This Topic's Starter

I am currently running Cyanogen Tazz 1.0 and actually got 24 hours (usage mostly consisting of texting and Facebook)

I see a lot on KaosFroyo...I think that I like the 2.2 ROMs.

17. BOY

BOY Member

I'm having problems with battery life and picture texts on KaosFroyo v30 and may try reflashing it or I may try NonSensikal v4.6. I had my stock 2.1 dialed in for battery life and was hoping for more from the Kaos ROM :(

I do miss my sense widgets though, waiting for a good alternative for Calendar, Favorites and Bookmarks.