Which root method to use?

Last Updated:

1. caesey

caesey Well-Known Member

I'm rooting my Galaxy S for the first time. Looks like there are multiple ways to do it:

(1) Download & apply update.zip
    (2) Use z4root app from market
    (3) Use SuperOneClick for PC
    (4) Use OneClickLagFix app

Appreciate if someone can help me choose which one.

2. Wild Thing

Wild Thing Well-Known Member

number two. then apply OCLF but install ext 2 tools first which is part of OCLF then apply OCLF your SGS will fly.
  3. nedamdam

nedamdam Well-Known Member

Doesn't number 4 include also the number 2?

(I rooted via update zip and installed then via the OCLF app the fix, now I guess I would do everything with that app maybe)
  4. Wild Thing

Wild Thing Well-Known Member

It may do but i prefered to root the way I said, as it was proven and caused no problems.
  5. tojjer

tojjer Well-Known Member

I don't think so.
  6. nedamdam

7. swipermusic

swipermusic Active Member

You have to have Z4root and one click lag fix, you need both to do the job.
  8. nedamdam

Ehm, I never said anything different I just said that the 2 and 4 have the same function and thats ROOTING and its the same type of rooting comming from RyanZa.... So there are actually 3 options he wrote..
  9. caesey

caesey Well-Known Member

good point, I didn't notice both (2) & (4) were developed by RyanZA. z4root seems to be a generic rooting application for many Android devices, while OLCF is specific to Galaxy S.
  10. nedamdam

So? How did you root it in the end ? D:
  11. caesey

caesey Well-Known Member

Haven't rooted yet bcos I learnt that 3 button recovery mode doesn't work for me, have made 3 attempts so far, all unsuccessful. I want to be able to get into recovery mode before I root & apply any lag fixes.
  12. nedamdam

I think thats smart.

Btw I did it without knowing how to get into the 3button recovery :p . I thought I dont have it cuz I put the wrong shortcut. Instead of volume up I did go down :p or the other way and gone into the download mode.

However 1 of the update.zip root the method I used has a script that runs the mode via the PC. OR you could try to download some SGS toolbox to get into the recovery mode.

But in the worst case you would still need the 3 buttons I guess so as you said its better to have that ready just in case.
  13. andrewbat

andrewbat New Member

Hey all,
    I am very new to the Samsung Galaxy S.

My 3 button recovery 'does not work', yet through my PC,I rooted and then ran Ryan's OCLF.

I have just un-lagfixed and unrooted and have officially upgraded to Froyo 2.2 through Kies with the official Optus Australian release.

It still lags in areas.

Is it worth rooting and running a lag fix?
    & if YES, How?

My specs are;

PDA: I9000DTJP5
    PHONE: I9000DTJP3
    CSC: I9000PSJP4
    Build Info: 2010.11

Any help appreciated... :confused:

14. caesey

caesey Well-Known Member

Is the 3 button recovery mode working? It isn't working in mine, even after upgrading to Froyo. I'm looking for ways to get this working before I root & lag fix. Also, planning to do a factory reset, wipe cache partition & format internal SD (with stock ROM), should help with the lags from what I've read.
  15. Beards

Beards Well-Known Member

Rooting using only OCLF is for Eclair models.