which rooting program for Droid X?

1. FirebirdStud

FirebirdStud Well-Known Member

Ok, which program is considered the easiest/best one to use for a complete noob? I get my phone tomorrow, and I want to be prepared for when it shows up! lol. That and I want to do some quality research before I start messing with it.

Also, Im not sure I understand the difference between rooting and ROM.. Could someone point me to a link or give me a quick rundown? Do they go hand in hand? (rooting and ROMs)

I appreciate your patience!

Cody

Advertisement
  2. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

I had purchased Easy Root before when I had my D1, so I just rooted my X today. The software key was still good.

One click, and you're rooted.
  3. Xtgirl

Xtgirl Member

I'd use the universalandroot app because there is a chance that you may still have a rooted phone when we move to 2.2...guess we will find out tomorrow:)
  4. VDubBugMan53

VDubBugMan53 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

scan that with your phone or click here http://bit.ly/9W7mAr
    for universalandroot run it then you just need to download root explorer and move a file
  5. FirebirdStud

hmm, so do I have to pay to root my phone?? I thought rooting was free?
  6. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

Two options: pay or read
  7. FirebirdStud

point taken! :p
  8. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

9. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Universal root does not work on my previously one click rooted DX, unrooted by the 2.2 update fyi. I thought it seemed too easy. :(
  10. FirebirdStud

Hey, thanks! I know that newbs can get annoying, and I really am a newb at phone hacking. Ive never had a geek phone, and now that I have one I want it to rule the world!

But this is what I wanted, a point in the direction to figure out all the basic meanings, lingo, and abbreviations so I know just what people are talking about. Im a quick learner though, I promise!

Again, thanks for the gentle push in the right direction!!
  11. FirebirdStud

Ill have my phone tonight, I am praying it doesn't have 2.2 installed. Otherwise there will be no rooting for me, correct? (or at least YET! haha)
  12. Xaven

Xaven Member

13. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

As an android newbie, I would caution you to go very carefully in rooting. You can easily go down one way streets from which are hard to turn around. I came from 10 years of WM, I am a computer programmer, I have a background in Unix and linux as well. I was very careful that I knew how to undo everything I did. Learning how to do something is not important. Learning how to undo is.

Enjoy your phone and get your head around it first. You are going to love it. Don't root unless you have a good reason to do so and have exhausted the possibilities without root. For instance if you just want to tether your laptop occasionally, stick with Easy tether or pdanet vs rooting and wifitether. etc.

This isn't like an iphone or dumb phone where you are walled in. You can do quite a bit with a non rooted phone. Root is there mostly to protect you from malicious apps.
  14. D13

D13 Well-Known Member

but neither of those methods are wireless, and also what do you mean root is to protect you from malicious apps
  15. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

It is possible to tether wirelessly without root too. BT tethering does not use a wire. You can use the VZW mifi app. You can tether your connection to wifi only devices like an ipod touch if you have a laptop and are smart without using the vzw app too. But root is the easiest way IMO

If you were to run your phone as root with no protection, any app you load on your phone would have root access. Those apps would be able to change anything on your phone including deleting system files and brick your phone or install a root kit. You as the user could also accidently damage things. Actually you just have to browse the forums to see just that. This was a tremendous flaw of Windows Mobile and why you had to reflash from time to time when things got currupted. Running in unprotected root would be as stupid as people who run their pc in Admin mode instead of a restricted user and separate admin account.
  16. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

17. igotgame

igotgame Well-Known Member

I can't get my phone recognized in windows as a Droid X...I've installed drivers and everything

It's just showing as MB810 in device manager
  18. poof101

poof101 Well-Known Member

can somebody tell me how to put my phone in pc mode or charge only mode
  19. poof101

poof101 Well-Known Member

i seem to be doing everything right..my computer says my phone should b rooted..i battery pull and nothing...taking me hours to finish this....somebody please help
  20. Jubz

Jubz New Member

When plugged into your PC, on the DX pull down the notification shade and click on "USB connection" for the options.
  21. topdj

topdj Well-Known Member

tried method above and it says root failed