Which Samsung Galaxy to get : EVO or Vibrant??

Last Updated:

1. texphone

texphone Member This Topic's Starter

Jul 22, 2010

So I am a noob to androids and smartphones in general.
    I have done my research. But I figure the experts are here and would like opinions.

I have narrowed it down to the Samsung Galaxies - either Tmobile or Sprint.

I understand that Tmobile has much better customer service ratings in surveys but some say Sprint has improved?

Tmobile phone has 16g internal memory vs sprints 1g(but 16g SD). How important is internal memory size for androids? Some say in 2.2 you will be able to use SD memory for apps so internal isnt as important in the future? I assume these phones will be able to upgrade?

Sprint phone has better features for me - forward camera for video conf, hard keybd, and 4G.- all of which are big pluses for me. When is Tmobile getting 4g and will the phones upgrade?

Any comments folks? Is tmobile service and line quality that much better than Sprint?

2. fangorious

fangorious Guest

First off the Sprint version of the Galaxy S is the Epic ;)

T-Mobile is deploying HSPA+, which i some markets is performing better than Sprint's WiMax. We have it deployed in Houston and on my 7.2 Mbps HSPA MyTouch I average about 3 Mbps down with Speedtest.net.

Android 2.2 does support installing apps on the sd card, but there is some dependence on developers supporting it in their apps. If the front-facing-camera and keyboard are important features, than there's only one choice.

Compare their coverage maps for your area and and if they're comparable get the phone with the features you want.

3. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Dec 2, 2009
  4. ari-free

ari-free Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    I can only speak for myself but I don't just want coverage for my area. I want to be able to go anywhere (such as on vacation) and still be able to use it.
  5. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    I used T-Mobile for years and loved them. I also like having a sim card I can easily switch to another phone. If you go out of the country on Vacation you'll want GSM. However, are you comfortable with a touch screen only phone? The Epic has a hardware keyboard and the Vibrant does not.
  6. quest7

quest7 Well-Known Member

May 9, 2010
    Also, if you are into gaming, the vibrant has a good gpu compared to evos adreno gpu.
  7. QwertyBlog

QwertyBlog Member

Jul 6, 2010
    It really depends in your area on who has better coverage. I have excellent coverage in San Diego with T-Mobile, but it may not be the same for you. However, I heard Sprint is really good in my area as well.

Also, if my contract was up with T-Mobile and I were to choose between Sprint and T-Mobile, I would definitely go for Sprint. Their plans seems to be a lot cheaper and also they do have the unlimited mobile to mobile on ANY U.S. Carrier.

The Epic also does not look too bad. It seems a bit thicker, but you definitely want to check it out in person. And like others said, it has more features as well which is always nice to have.