Which unlocked phones work on VM (Sprints) network

1. thansen1961

thansen1961 Member

Hey all. I have a Moto triumph that so far I'm pretty pleased with but I was wondering if anyone knows if say an unlocked Moto Droid Razr M would work on the Virgin (Sprint) network?

Advertisement
  2. thIsgUy20

thIsgUy20 Well-Known Member

Is the droid RAZR m a CDMA or GSM phone? If its GSM then nope....I believe
  3. thansen1961

thansen1961 Member

"It runs on the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network, as well as EV-DO, Rev A 3G and CDMA 800/1900 frequencies where 4G LTE is not available"

That would work. I believe.
  4. thIsgUy20

thIsgUy20 Well-Known Member

Oh well if its CDMA then yea it probably maybe could but I'm not wiz at how to switch carriers and remember it is now illegal to unlock your phone to a different carrier if your currently on a contract
  5. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

It's really not worth the effort, on the other hand the DMCA provision that was allowed to lapse grandfather's in phones manufactured before that date. And the provision basically applies to GSM phones, there's really no such thing as an unlocked CDMA phone.
  6. pastafarian

pastafarian P√Ętes avec votre foie Moderator

Moved to the Virgin Mobile section.
  7. mogelijk

mogelijk Well-Known Member

Virgin does not allow non-Virgin phones on their network.
  8. thansen1961

thansen1961 Member

How do they know? If you put the misco SD card from a Virgin phone in another phone?
  9. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

Virgin/Sprint are CDMA, there are no sim cards, all of the network settings are stored on the phone in nvram. :rolleyes:
    OB
  10. mogelijk

mogelijk Well-Known Member

As OverByter mentioned, Virgin/Sprint is CDMA and they do not use SIM cards. Additionally, the ESN number of the phone needs to be added to the network to work, and Virgin Mobile only adds the ESN numbers of Virgin Mobile phones.
  11. Prinny

Prinny Resident Linux Nutcase Guide

To answer this the best way possible.

Legally? No. It's not possible to use something from another CDMA provider on Virgin Mobile. That's it.
    agentc13 likes this.